What's the shortest smoke you allow yourself?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Although I have not embraced the DGT, I have a Astley prince that I go to when I am restricted to a short smoke (15 minutes).
When smoking it I try not to consider it too short and think of those Japanese pipes (kiseru) from long ago when they only had a 2 minute smoke during a brief stop to enjoy their pipe!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I will let a half smoked bowl rest for days without concern. Sometimes I have forgotten which blend I smoked before relighting. One time I didn't even figure it out when I finished. I deducted that it must be either Hal o' the Wynd or Scottish Cake.

Right now I have a half smoked pipe of some light, semi-aromatic sitting next to me, but what I want is a potent dark-fired. So the light stuff will wait, probably till monday.

Would you put in 10 minutes to a bowl if you knew you might not be able to relight it for 4 or 8 or 10 or 12 hours? One day?

I have found pipes stowed away for so long that I had forgotten what the blend was, and found that in relighting it that I enjoyed trying to guess the blend. But, I think that some aromatics and English blends might leave a lot to be desired in setting for a long time. But, Virginias and VaPer probably last indefinitely, getting better and declining on a much larger bell curve.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I smoke this tiny little Meer and my Tsuge Tankard pipe for 15 minute smokes. I frequently only have 15-30 minutes to enjoy a bowel.
ROAmllX.jpg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I thought you were mixing up this thread with the hot sauce thread. :puffy:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I find that 15-30 minutes is usually enough for my bowel movements. And they are a thing to be enjoyed, if moisture level, packing and cadence are allright :nana:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love this site ... for this reason! From zero to joke in 3 seconds.
I personally prefer a group 3 sized bowel :roll:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Recently I have struggled with moisture, often leaving a soggy mess from the bottom. Wiping with a clean paper towel alleviates it somewhat, but also leaves the bottom with a rancid smell. I have been powerless in trying to slow down the frequency of the bowel movements so far, and have had to implement hot water rinses in addition to my normal maintenance routine.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm a big fan of DGT, however, I'm often doing something else while smoking. Interestingly for me, I find whether I'm smoking 5 minutes or an hour, I get the best results while I'm not really thinking about smoking

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I frequently only have 15-30 minutes to enjoy a bowel.
I tried cutting it short,BUT DGT just didn't work for me, I ended up with an embareASSing moment... 8O

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Sometimes I push it too hard and my bowels get a little hot; sometimes it’s the spicy food.

Status
Not open for further replies.