What's The Difference? (Rhodesian or Bulldog)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I agree with the consensus that a diamond shank is a bulldog and a round shank is a rhodesian. I don't think it's a universal definition though. I just bought this one and it was listed as a bent rhodesian.
bent-rhodesian-bruyere-dpb4108.jpg

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
seacaptain, that's a damn fine specimen whatever you want to call it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's confusion. I think the most common usage is the bulldog having the diamond/square shank and the Rhodesian having a round shank, but when you get into oval shanks, it's up for grabs. The Sav Opera bent 673KS is usually called a bulldog despite its rounded, somewhat oval, shank. These are great shapes in any category.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
seacaptain, that's a damn fine specimen whatever you want to call it.
Thanks. I haven't received it yet, but it should be here in a couple of days. I'm really starting to develop an appreciation for the bulldog/rhodesian shape.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Thanks. I haven't received it yet, but it should be here in a couple of days. I'm really starting to develop an appreciation for the bulldog/rhodesian shape.
Well darn. I checked on this today, and they haven't even processed the order yet. I ended up cancelling and bought a Michail Kyriazanos prince instead. Pipe disorder ADD. :)
Looks like I won't be joining the bulldog/rhodesian club as soon as I thought. Next time I'll wait for the bird-in-hand before I post pics in a thread.

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
If I had to posit a theory, it would be that there's an archetypical bulldog shape; It would be something with a diamond shank, the characteristic diamond-ish profile of the bowl, with the angle in the bowl coming in at about the middle. Something close to a bulldog, but not quite, perhaps bearing a round shank or an oddly proportioned bowl, would be a rhodesian. Perhaps the difference is more like the difference between a cannon and a fugue, that is to say, it's how closely the carver follows the traditional shape.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Late to the party - I think the shank is the difference, so I'd say if the shank is round, it's a Rhodesian (such as the Peterson's Sherlock Holmes Deerstalker). If the shank has straight lines (the so-called diamond shape), it's a Bulldog (such as the Peterson's Sherlock Holmes Baker Street). Each may or may not have decorative ring. Each may be squat or tall. Each may be straight, quarter bent, P-lipped or not.
But they all rock. :)

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Although I have done a lot of looking in old pipe catalogues to find a definitive answer.
It comes as no surprise that there isn't one... Dunhill have the oldest catalogue I could find that has both styles (1930s). Their Bulldog is both bent and straight but has a definitive upright bowl, their Rhodesian (with a diamond stem) has a squat bowl. It seems that Dunhill classify it with the bowl rather than the stem shape. Other pipe manufacturers (more recent 1950s) have their diamond stemmed pipes as a bulldog and round as a Rhodesian.
The bent vs straight argument seems the least popular, but some seem to have the squat bowl shape only as a bent pipe and call it by either name.
I think the American manufacturers generally favour the stem shape as the difference and the British ones follow Dunhill and call it by bowl shape. (more upright as Bulldog and Squat as Rhodesian)
I think the easy answer is to call it either and everyone agrees not to get too pedantic about it!!! Just enjoy smoking them and IMHO the great feel they have in the hand! :puffy:

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
The best definition I ever saw pretty much stated that all Rhodesians were Bulldogs but not all Bulldogs were Rhodesians. In other words, Rhodesians are a kind of Bulldog. A Dunhill shape chart I have seen shows a pipe, which we would normally call a Bulldog from its bowl shape but a Rohdesian from its round shank, as a Bulldog.

I recently acquired a Custombilt "English Bulldog #19" (as described and shown in the 1962 Custombilt Catalogue)- it has a round shank.
In general, the question really is just fodder for forum discussion. :puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
When first learning pipe shapes(still learning some in fact) I found that for me they are the same overall. Just a way for me to simplify an extremely broad shape description subject. At least concerning Bulldog/Rhodesian.
Another example for me is Lovat/Canadian discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.