What's Similar to Newminster 400 SNF or HH Virginia Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Well, I smoke roughly 2.5lbs per year, so at $200 for a 5lb bulk of Newm. 400, that would last me 2 years.
If you wait for one of the sales (like the recent P&C 25% off) then you could cellar pretty deep at that time. It was $27.48/lb. with that discount so it'd be $137.40 for 5 lbs. Save up while you wait for the sale then buy 20 lbs. or more.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I’ve been checking out some of the blends from Ken Byron (KBV) this morning. They seem to note nice flavors and get outstanding reviews from Jim.
If you're worried about blends going out of stock (as stated earlier about MacBaren) the last place I would be shopping is Kens store. Hes got some nice blends for sure and I have plenty of them but its more something I pickup for the boutique aspect of it, its not stuff I put away a ton of.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
If you wait for one of the sales (like the recent P&C 25% off) then you could cellar pretty deep at that time. It was $27.48/lb. with that discount so it'd be $137.40 for 5 lbs. Save up while you wait for the sale then buy 20 lbs. or more.
That’s actually something I hadn’t thought of. Yeah $280 for 10lbs would last me a good long while.

Do websites like smokingpipes.com and P&C advertise upcoming sales? Do they typically give you a heads up, or is it more of a “Flash Sale”? Maybe they send out and email newsletter, I’m just not subscribed to those (I can be though). I don’t know any of this because I usually buy 4oz bulk every month through my local B&M.

Last edited:

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
If you're worried about blends going out of stock (as stated earlier about MacBaren) the last place I would be shopping is Kens store. Hes got some nice blends for sure and I have plenty of them but its more something I pickup for the boutique aspect of it, its not stuff I put away a ton of.
That’s a good thought, I definitely want to at least try some of them and maybe put some away like I do with HH Virginia Flake as a dessert smoke.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
That’s actually something I hadn’t thought of. Yeah $280 for 10lbs would last me a good long while.

Do websites like smokingpipes.com and P&C advertise upcoming sales? Do they typically give you a heads up, or is it more of a “Flash Sale”? Maybe they send out and email newsletter, I’m just not subscribed to those (I can be though). I don’t know any of this because I usually buy 4oz bulk every month through my local B&M.
Yeah they'll send out emails. I'd subscribe to those two and tobaccopipes.com. I think 25% is the best I've seen besides the 30% TP offers but it's on like 2 specific blends at a time.

Reactions: Tongue-Fried

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
Watch City has some excellent Va and VaPer blends. I’m a fan of their straight Vas - Simply Red, Simply Orange, and Rhythm & Blues. Their VaPers are top notch, too, Rouxgaroux and 558 are the standouts for me. And Simply VOriental when you want that asiatic touch.

Thank you. I’ll definitely check out their website.

Architeuthis

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Have you tried the Stokkebye flakes? Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake? These are also quite good, readily available, and affordable. Worthy of another mention are C&D Derringer and Yorktown- both tasty blends available in bulk. Give 'em a try.

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
Have you tried the Stokkebye flakes? Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake? These are also quite good, readily available, and affordable. Worthy of another mention are C&D Derringer and Yorktown- both tasty blends available in bulk. Give 'em a try.
I smoke LTF on occasion, and may give LNF a try from Stokkebye. Yorktown is on my “To Try” list now thanks to the multiple suggestions here.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

rmcnabb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2024
Yes - you can basically wait to shop the sales and never pay full price. Between smokingpipes, tobaccopipes, cupojoe's, and a couple others, you can find basically anything on sale. Get on the waiting list for out of stock favorites and they'll email you as soon as they come in stock. (Looking at you, St. James Flake!)

Glad you asked this question because I am over the moon with my new infatuation: CnD's "Virginia Gentlemen." This is a desert island VA blend for me - it's a nice semi-dry fine ribbon cut that packs and lights and burns perfectly. I smoke a lot in the car and Ain't Nobody Got Time for tearing flakes and dealing with all that stuff. I want something I can pack with one hand and light while putting in a fresh Grateful Dead CD into the stereo. VA Gentlemen is toasty and nutty and is consistently delicious, pipe after pipe. Lots of blends (for me anyway) have the "second pipe problem" of tasting like a burnt running shoe after the first bowl. Not this one.

I hear that Yorktown is all that plus a bag of chips, and a pound of it is sitting in my cart ready for my twice monthly order.