What's More Enjoyable for You, the Hunt or the Capture?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
My pipe collection is eclectic. I’m not looking to complete any sets. I’m very opportunistic in buying pipes, old and new. I enjoy watching and checking eBay several times a day. So I definitely enjoy hunting. And when I get a really nice pipe of any sort it’s a great feeling. I get a lot of satisfaction from the restoration process. Searching for the next pipe is the most fun though.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
This is a good question. But for me I enjoy the acquisition the most, even though the search is fun to an extent, too. The reason is that I am largely content with my pipes and have been so contented that in the last 7-8 years I have not sought to obtain another until just yesterday :) I like the idea of trading in pipes I no longer like (for whatever reason, i.e., too many grams, the shape no longer holds interest etc.) for a pipe I am keen to use.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
Man @sablebrush52 that’s a great question. Today it was a capture of a pipe I’ve wanted for over 20 years.
I hope it arrives and meets my expectations. I stay on the hunt for several but nothing as rare or unique as yours however they have some meaning for me. Now if I can somehow find an 83 Pete Twain I’d be almost satisfied leaving the hunt.
So I guess today the capture and tomorrow the hunt😂

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
A friend of mine always said “the wanting is always better than the getting”, and it took years for me to understand he was attempting to teach me that “stuff” never fills “the hole”.
In my varied interests over the years, I always start with compulsively getting the next “whatever”, then as true personal preference/interest/experience develops I temper into more patience hunting for what I really like.

My hillbilly buddy hears me start yapping about the next pipe, caliber, bike, tool, etc and usually just hits me with “oh, you’re bored again, huh?”😄