PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
cigar.com is part of the CI/P&C operations, served out of the same warehouse. JR owned by Altadis and is unrelated to CI/P&C

Jun 27, 2016
woodsroad
Your theory is unsupported by fact.
Well the facts are that dented tins get to the customers, and not much has been done on the packing end of things, and at least up until recently their prices had been significantly lower than others on many things, so it made it easier to speculate that maybe it is because they can't do anything to safely pack tins that are already dented. They have to stay in business, and that would be a perfectly acceptable way to save some money. As I said before, dented tins don't really bother me. I've only ever received 5 to 10 % dented, none have ever been split open, and I have never sent any back, and I will never bother unless they are split. My comment was more in their defense, offering one reasonable explanation. So, that being said, and since others know more than I do about the business end of it, it would be interesting to know the actual fate of any dented tins that get sent back to the retailer. What do they do with them, and what happens to them after that? :puffpipe:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Russ could best answer the question of the fate of returned dented tins, but I think that some of that stuff ends up being "testers" in the office. But none of it gets sent back out to customers. Did you know that the P&C merchandising folks are allowed to smoke at their desks? Life of Riley, I tell you. P&C/CI has a "scratch and dent" sale at their retail locations from time to time, and I do see humidors and pipe racks there at substantial savings, but never dented tobacco tins. Maybe I get there too late?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
When I was young I worked in a shipping department for a time and all it took was two eyes and common sense to do a decent job of packing things well. I didn't need any special policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.