PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattnelson23

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2012
Since Penzance is so elusive, I was wondering if you fine folks had some opinions on what is a close second that is actually obtainable? Thanks in advance!

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
I've heard one of the most similar is Smokers' Haven Krumble Kake but, as you can already assume, that tends to sell out regularly as well.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I read in another post that Brebbia Latakia Flake No. 9 is a very close match. I have a tin but haven't cracked it open yet. I like GL Pease's Quiet Nights a lot. It is not an exact match as it has a bit more Latakia and a little less Orientals. It tastes pretty similar to me though. I find it is a bit higher in nicotine content than Penzance.

gageploungin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2012
I started a thread on this subject a little while back and had a member send me a sample out of the goodness of their heart (still have a bit left). I'll likely get booed of the stage for this, but I've found that Hearth & Home 10 to midnight scratches the Penzance itch quite well. I wouldn't call them close to an exact match, but they seem to find the same happy spot for me.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I like Ten to Midnight as a fill in. It's pretty close.

The other "Kakes" from Germain - Special Latakia Flake and Krumble Kake are different creatures. Krumble Kake is by far closer, but is a muddier, saltier cousin.

Quiet Nights is an interesting one, and I've found that I prefer it to Penzance. As stated above, it's not a clone by any stretch, but I get the same groove while smoking a bowl, and I can buy it anytime I want, that seals the deal.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I guess the question is, what is it about Penzance that you want to replicate elsewhere? Are you looking for a lat bomb? Penzance has a lot, but not as much as, say, Hermit Tobacco 10 Russians or C&D Star of the East.
I like Penzance very much, but it is simply one of several fuller latakia blends I enjoy.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
All the above blends are good to try, but the American Patriot was off by a long way IMHO. The only one I haven't tried is the Brebbia No.9 that was mentioned by captainprophesy. I'd like to try that one. :wink:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I think this lady is a Penzance smoker.
1636620065_1fecf9d314.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.