PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
good pipe is the one you want to keep on smoking.

about packing long strands first, it works. after drying the tobacco, i sort of grab them and drop them on a paper plate, slowly. do the few times and i get longer strands on top. i load them first so the short pieces don't clog the airway.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
A pipe that "smokes good" or is described as being a "good smoker" is one that performs as intended and is essentially the opposite of a "bad" smoker. A "bad" smoker would generally be one that tends to gurgle, imparts a bad taste, has a bowl that is too far out of round, or any other mechanical issue that hampers the smoking experience.

I know my definition above sounds kind of pedantic and possibly circular, but I've read people criticizing the concept of a "good smoker" which is a term often used to described an inexpensive, low grade, or potentially blemished pipe that delivers a good smoke. I think that "good smokers" definitely do exist, and I own a couple of them myself. On the other hand, I also have owned some relatively (compared to the rest of my collection) more expensive pipes that don't smoke so great.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I often see posts from users showing off a new pipe saying, "Can't wait to see how it smokes!", or other users asking, "How's it smoke?"

Assuming the pipe isn't defective (or if it's an estate pipe, assuming it's properly cleaned and restored), what is it that makes a pipe smoke good - or, what would make a pipe not good?
If I enjoy smoking from it I keep smoking from it. Meaning, if the natural way I smoke, with some limited variation, doesnt produce an enjoyable smoke, I stop using it or the tobacco. But I'd say keep those pipes. Funny enough, a pipe I put down 1 year ago because I couldnt taste a thing out of it, picked it up last week and it smoked wonderfully...or maybe I finally did.

Reactions: tobefrank

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I don’t know the answer to the question: ‘what is a pipe that smokes good?’ other than: the pipe below is a pipe that smokes good for me.

It is my least expensive pipe, picked up as an estate, and I don’t think I have ever had a bad smoke in it.

It is normally dedicated to Va’s and VaPer’s, but recently decided to smoke Solani Aged Burley Flake from it, and wow did I have good smoke of ABF for the first time.

The answer to ‘what is a pipe that smokes good’ is probably a lot like being in love, you know it when you’ve found it, but there is no reasoning why.

Reactions: danish

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The quality of the actual smoke coming through the stem is the same pipe to pipe (yes, with some real exceptions, but I am talking of my experience with 102 out of 103 pipes I have)

So, all the rest is personal druthers. Aesthetics. Art. Grain, finish, design, workmanship and more. Trying to leave out brand and market pricing, which seems to upset some folks.

Last edited:

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Imo the gestalt is one of those "more than the sum of its parts" things. If its a straight drilled airway of sufficient diameter, the rest is aesthetics. (not going to say just)
Cant see how grain or wood would matter that much either because if there is a layer of carbon cake, thats really what you are smoking out of.
All that said, i have a couple of pipes that are favorites and seem better than the others, beyond just a good straight drill and sufficient cake.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Very interesting thread. There are clearly many variables that go into a good smoke -- the multiple variables of the pipe itself (airway, size, briar quality, shape, filter or no filter, etc), the type and quality of the tobacco, and then the smoker's packing ability/style and smoking style.

So my takeaway -- as an intermediate/ semi-experienced pipe smoker -- is that I really can't be bothered to worry about it. I guess I could try to figure out which pipe works best with which tobacco and sort through the variables, but seems way too complicated for what is probably a minor difference.

I own 14 pipes, ranging from a Castello, to mid-grade savinellis and petersons, to a Barclay Rex basket pipe, to a falcon and a few cobs. I have my favorites but the briars all smoke comparably (I'm not such a big fan of how the cobs smoke) although I am coming to favor 9mm filter pipes.

The only one that has been a problem has indeed been an airway issue -- a Savinelli 673 KS that smoked like crap with a 6mm filter -- the filter did not fit well in the stem . I ordered a 9mm stemfor the pipe -- hopefully that improves it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This:

"So my takeaway -- as an intermediate/ semi-experienced pipe smoker -- is that I really can't be bothered to worry about it. I guess I could try to figure out which pipe works best with which tobacco and sort through the variables, but seems way too complicated for what is probably a minor difference."

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My Vauen is my best smoker. And I really can't quantify it any better then to say it just doesn't require much attention to get a good smoke. I tried doing something I never do which is talk on the phone while smoking (can't do it for some reason) and it was still enjoyable and didn't burn the hell out of my tongue though the smoke got a touch acrid tasting. Seriously if my pipe is just normal for them I'd highly recommend the brand. That said I've had pipes from crap lines that also smoked well despite never finding another one in the brand and style that even smoked acceptably. So mileage may vary but from what others have said I'd say Vauen is a great example of a pipe that smokes good.

Reactions: BROBS and whsergent

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No airway problems, moisture problems, bowls that have dead zones for taste, no extended break-in, no clenching problems in lighting big pipes, and no clenching problems at all with medium or small pipes, unnoticeable accommodating bits, moderate or light weight for size, pleasing texture both visually and tactilely, no overheating of any part, nice even joint between stem and shank, and durable, durable, durable.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
A couple of cents: before I "got it" I didn't even know what a good smoke was, and all my smokes were bad: tongue bite, mouth burn, burning too fast, not burning at all, gurgling, blocking.
Now with my limited experience I rarely if ever have a BAD smoke. If I do it is down to factors other than the pipes, usually having to do with my mood at the time, or packing a new tobacco wrongly (too tight).

Of course there are the occasional great smokes, where everything clicks into place and it is a sublime experience in every way, but I've had good, great, and mediocre/bad smokes in the same pipes, with the same tobacco, so my conclusion is that it is never one of the pipes, it is always something about me. I've had mediocre smokes in the best possible environment, and great smokes just walking my dog or sitting on cold concrete. If I'd rate my track record I'd say 5% are mediocre/bad smokes where nothing is working well but I usually figure out why afterwards, 85-90% good, but not amazing, and 5-10% great smokes (that's about 1-2 great smokes per week).

It is too many factors other than the pipe, maybe I've been lucky, I don't own anything expensive but they all pass a pipe cleaner test and all have been consistently delivering good and occasionally great smokes since I became not bad at pipe smoking :)

I'd say it has some similarities to cooking, in all the years me and my wife are cooking there have been times when the same dish, with the same recipe and as-close-as-possible ingredients has been tasty, but no more (a good smoke) and some other times where it was so good that we, or the friends we shared it with, remember how good it was years later.

Reactions: Bowie and whsergent

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
Either I am too new or have just been very lucky, I have yet to have a pipe that isn't a good smoke. I picked up a Biar Cigar and it took a while for me to figure out but that was my fault, not the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.