Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I started rinsing mine with water after smoking them, they smelled like old ashtrays. But, after rinsing with water, wiping out the bowl with a paper towel, and then a pipecleaner down the draft, they don't really have a smell at all. I mean, I am sure that a highly trained hound could probably find the pipe in the dark, but they don't have that acrid ashtray smell at all anymore.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I've heard of the water rinsing from other members, can you elaborate on how it's done. I've always thought briars should stay away from water

I've heard of the water rinsing from other members, can you elaborate on how it's done. I've always thought briars should stay away from water
I'm not sure where the myth comes from. But, for going on a couple for years now, I will warm the tap water up a bit, put the bowl over the tap and let the water run through it for several seconds. Then dry the chamber with a wad of paper towel, and then running a pipe cleaner down the draft. Then I wipe the pipe down real well with a polishing cloth. I do this with all of my pipes, and they all look as good as new, even though I have been smoking them for years before I started this routine. They also have no odors at all.
And, they are ready right away to be smoked again, but usually I do all of this before bed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A hot water flush down the chamber and out the stem does a lot with little work in keeping pipes fresh and clean. Not cleaner than clean, nor Springtime Fresh Clean®, but way better than before.

Also, I'd not remove the stems so often.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mike:

For almost a century retailers and some manufacturers who want to sell you special sauce ($$, nice markups) told people that water was bad. BAD, bad. BAD! What a crock.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh my, what's next? Throw them in the dishwasher? ?

*Olkofri flees before Cosmic throws his anvil at him and jpmcwjr forces him to smoke an English blend.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I keep my pipes ash and cake-free by wiping out the bowl with a paper towel after I scoop out the ash. This result is a thin carbon layer and no reduction of chamber size, and a sweet twangy tobacco smell that is like sniffing a glass of wine before you take the first sip. No ghosts, just memories of good smokes past.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Hmm. to me, the bowls of my pipes smell... like the bowl of a pipe, a friendly tool to facilitate the enjoyment of pipe tobacco. So, i guess i am saying the smell as they should for the task that is given them. It is a smell unique onto itself. trying to describe it is akin, IMO, like trying to describe any odor that is unique and its own. Think of any pure odor.... like a lemon. We all know what a lemon's odor is, but theonly word that fully describes its aroma fully is.... lemon.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
If the chamber gets moist during the smoke, it might get a little of that wet ashtray smell. Otherwise, pipes smell good. Sweet, burnt tobacco aroma. Very pleasant.

Reactions: BROBS

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I took the plunge and rinsed a pipe that had no cake under warm water for a minute or so. Then paper towel for the bowl, and a cleaner through the stem. It was far less fragrant after that simple cleaning.

Looks like JP shilling for Big Water collects another victim!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I took the plunge and rinsed a pipe that had no cake under warm water for a minute or so. Then paper towel for the bowl, and a cleaner through the stem. It was far less fragrant after that simple cleaning.

Looks like JP shilling for Big Water collects another victim!

It’s only a few briars of mine that get the warm-flush (somewhat due to me having to heat distilled water — tap water way too ‘hard’).

That said, I’m in agreement: those have a very faint smell by comparison.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.