What/Who Influenced You to Start Pipe Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
My young childhood was filled with memories of heavenly smells coming from the Smokers Cove, a tobacconist in our local mall, stories of Sherlock Holmes, and the iconic actors Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett who brought Holmes to life. Heck, I tried smoking a pipe before I tried cigarettes; I stuck with the pipe!
jaxonlee, glad you got introduced with the hobby..
Hope you are enjoying your blends and smokes
Happy Piping.. puffy

Reactions: jaxonlee

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
No not a Shaman, although I can relate to their ways.
Close to 30 years ago I went through a Spiritual Awakening that led to 7 years of intense research, study, meditation and ritual practice.

My father is a lay-preacher, my mothers a scripture teacher so I was deeply indoctrinated. Most of the past lives that I've viewed religion was a central part.
My motive was to find the truth. It got to a point where I reached a plateau of awareness that I could live with and be at peace. [Which I believe was my main 'self-assigned' task for this life]
Only a truly Enlightened One will 'know all' [that's not me, lol]
There are truths and there's higher truth.

Now I can see a common thread through most religions and spiritual ways of life.
There's no label that would fit my beliefs. Theosophist would be the closest I guess.

Clearing negative entities [NE] is not something that I actively sought [I've sensed spirits since I was a kid. It terrified me. It didn't help that my father claimed that it was a sign of 'demonic influence' and tried to beat it out of me on a regular basis]
Circumstance forced me into a corner where I felt that I had no choice but to confront something rather dark where others had failed [The RCC's official Exorcist actually fled in terror; SMH]
This is when I learned that confronting NE is something that comes naturally to me.

This involved a family that were experiencing poltergeist activity, spirit possession and inexplicable serious illness in two family members. One of the sons now plays Test Rugby League.

Despite begging for help after several other efforts failed, this family betrayed me big time after I set things right, so I will reveal all publicly when I feel that the time is right.
Chopper, my dear friend.. for now, I hope you are in peace and happy, leading a good life and practicing spirituality by your own terms. That's all matters in the end. Tough times won't last, but tough people do.
Enjoy your smokes and blends
Happy Piping.. puffy

Reactions: chopper

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I got my itch from watching old tv dads on antenna tv. It seemed like a fun way to unwind and think about what to do and how to handle things. They always seem to know what to do. Seemed like real men that had stuff together. Life for me at the time i started puffing pipes was way more stressfull. I had forced myself into management because thats what I thought I was supost to do or want after being with the company for so long. After a year I came to the conclusion it wasn't for me. A simpler slower less drama filled life was for me and i haven't looked back.
puffy
Tommy Boy, glad you find your way that worked best for you..
I hope you are enjoying your blends and smokes the other side.
Happy Pipng..

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Back when I was in Fallujah I used to walk the same route each night to get to my hooch and most days I would pass by a Marine MSgt who was calmly sitting outside smoking cigars. I had never smoked anything in my life, but there was something relaxing looking about this guy enjoying his evening smokes. When I got home I started treating myself to a cigar or two a week when a buddy of mine suggested I pick up the pipe, which he found far more relaxing and friendly on the wallet. So I bought a Peterson pipe and a tin of Presbyterian and never looked back. Years later I still smoke the occasional cigar, but much prefer my pipes.
beezer, I am happy you got into pipes through the finest beginnings possible.. for me, Peterson and Presbyterian would make it the best way possible. I myself too never smoked anything my life by decided to get into pipes through MM Cobs from SP which are still in transit to India. Hoping they'll get in soon and would smoke good.

Enjoy your blends and smokes..
Happy Piping.. puffy

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Chopper, my dear friend.. for now, I hope you are in peace and happy, leading a good life and practicing spirituality by your own terms. That's all matters in the end. Tough times won't last, but tough people do.
Enjoy your smokes and blends
Happy Piping.. puffy
Thank you Dr.
Once I got to a certain level of understanding, it was like I'd internally reached a goal. The intensity to which I'd applied to my search for the previous 7 years just washed away.

The truth has set me free. I'm content and at peace. Plus I've got a reasonable stash of various blends. Who could ask for more? :)

Hope all is well in your world.
Namaste.

• Love
Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Andy_Pipes

Lurker
Mar 31, 2020
New Mexico
I was starting to get into cigars, and a friend from church invited me over to his place to smoke. He got out his pipe and invited me to try it. He told me it was way better than a cigar. I didn't believe him, but I tried a few puffs. That week I bought a $25 briar and a pouch of tobacco, and I never looked back!

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I was starting to get into cigars, and a friend from church invited me over to his place to smoke. He got out his pipe and invited me to try it. He told me it was way better than a cigar. I didn't believe him, but I tried a few puffs. That week I bought a $25 briar and a pouch of tobacco, and I never looked back!
Andy Pipes, I am happy the pipe never gave up on you since your first smoke and likewise, you never gave up on your pipes to this day..
Enjoy your blends and smokes..
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: Andy_Pipes

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Hope all is well in your world.
Namaste.
Chopper.. India is facing full lockdown till 14th April for now due to COVID-19 cases which are increasing day by day . I think this might had caused a sheer delay of my first ever shipment from SP that I haven't procured yet and hoping it to arrive soon. But for now.. country's priority is to ease down the suffering of people caused by this pandemic.
I hope you are good the other side too.
And take care my friend.
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: chopper
Jan 5, 2020
Yup, 2013 the day I turned 18. Was hanging out with whoever I was dating and ran across to CVS to get some sodas for us. Saw the pipes at the counter (MM Cobs), and bought one and some captain black original. Had to hide it under the seat of my car so she wouldn’t find it as she was very against smoking. Pretty much at least once a week (generally 3 or more now) from that day on!

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Behind every pipe smoker, there is a story they got.. Story as old as their first pipe.. and whenever they are asked how they got in.. the spark can be easily appreciated in their eyes.. They want to share it out loud.. because their love for the hobby is eternal and they know it payed them well.
Share me out Designated Pipe Smokers.. What/Who and When you got influenced to get into the hobby?
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Behind every pipe smoker, there is a story they got.. Story as old as their first pipe.. and whenever they are asked how they got in.. the spark can be easily appreciated in their eyes.. They want to share it out loud.. because their love for the hobby is eternal and they know it payed them well.
Share me out Designated Pipe Smokers.. What/Who and When you got influenced to get into the hobby?

Totally agree that there's a what, who, and when to stories, including my pipe smoking story. ;-)

Starting with the what, I guess I'd have to say I was attracted to pipes and pipe tobacco because of the wonderful scent of aromatic pipe smoke. As a kid, I assumed that pipe smoke would delight the smoker as much as the smell delighted me. And then there's the aesthetic of a well-made pipe, the handsome accessory of a few significant adult men in my young life. I have always thought that a pipe is the most practical yet sophisticated way to smoke tobacco. You're not in direct contact with the burning tobacco, for one thing. You also have a lasting object of beauty that reflects the craftsmanship of the maker, as well as the style of the pipe smoker himself (or herself).

As for the who of my inspiration to smoke a pipe, the first person who comes to mind is - get ready for the cliché - my paternal grandpa. For most of my youth, his signature blends were Sir Walter Raleigh and Amphora. My dad smoked pipes off-and-on, as did several relatives and close family friends, who always seemed to enjoy not just the smoking part but also the entire ritual. On top of the pipe smokers I knew personally, I was also influenced by the guys who appeared in TV and print advertisements for pipes and pipe tobacco like the gentlemen in the photos below. I thought they looked confident, mature, and discriminating, and I just liked their stylishness and cool image.

6-1.jpg

17.jpg20.jpg

When did pipes trigger my interest? Geez .... I'm pretty sure I've always been drawn to pipes and pipe smoking. As a kid, I loved spending time with the pipe smokers in my life. In my early teens, I started paying closer attention to their pipes, their favorite tobaccos, and the way they smoked. I'd wander around the local Tinder Box, gaze longingly at the pipes, and savor the ambient smoke. I liked the idea of pipe smoking as a hobby (rather than a habit) and could see myself trying it and liking it. I first tried smoking a pipe at about 14. I borrowed a bent rhodesian from my dad's pipe rack and tried smoking some of my grandpa's SWR in the garage when nobody was around. It wasn't the greatest experience in the world, but I enjoyed it well enough to keep trying. It took me a while to learn to pack, light, and puff properly. I also tried small cigars (Tiparillos, Black&Milds), which were okay but which actually made me love pipe smoking a lot more. I'd smoke a few bowls a week (in secret, naturally).

Smoking pipes in my teens was probably premature, but once I got the hang of it, I couldn't hold off until I turned 18. My dad's pipe made its way back to the pipe rack discreetly. It was easy enough for me to buy a Medico, a Dr. G, and mass-market blends like Amphora and Borkum Riff (more permissive times in the 80s). I never got caught, but maybe I should have. The more I smoked, the more I loved pipes and pipe tobacco. The only person who knew I'd taken up pipes was a high school friend who liked to partake with me, especially when he had his mom's house to himself and we could smoke freely for a whole afternoon or evening.

Turning 18 and starting college freed me to pursue the hobby without having to hide it. My new independence also gave me the chance to enjoy it on a whole new level. First thing I did after settling in at school was treat myself to a new pipe at a legit pipe shop. I bought a classic no-name saddle billiard with a smooth finish, which I still love to smoke. Along with my purchase, the shop guy offered me a complimentary pouch of any bulk tobacco I wanted to try. Predictably, he suggested - get ready for another cliché - Lane's 1Q, which smelled so delicious in the jar. I was more than happy to give it a try, even though I was a little nervous about lighting up in the shop (the only person who even knew I smoked was my high school pal). Gotta say that my first smoke from my new pipe was a notable step up from Borkum Riff in a Dr. G ... lol. That memorable experience made me want to show off my new pipe and boosted my confidence. I got more comfortable as a pipe smoker over time, especially after showing my new billiard to my roommate, who turned out to be a pipe guy himself. I loved being part of the brotherhood on campus and at the local tobacco shop. When my mom found out I smoked a pipe, she said something like "A pipe really suits you." Even at the tender age of 18, I really came to appreciate how smoking a pipe just seemed to be such a great fit for me - a totally comfortable way to love tobacco, relax, and socialize with like-minded guys.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Yup, 2013 the day I turned 18. Was hanging out with whoever I was dating and ran across to CVS to get some sodas for us. Saw the pipes at the counter (MM Cobs), and bought one and some captain black original. Had to hide it under the seat of my car so she wouldn’t find it as she was very against smoking. Pretty much at least once a week (generally 3 or more now) from that day on!
italliansallion, I hope you are enjoying your pipes and blends to the fullest to this day.

Enjoy your smokes,
Happy Piping. puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Totally agree that there's a what, who, and when to stories, including my pipe smoking story. ;-)

Starting with the what, I guess I'd have to say I was attracted to pipes and pipe tobacco because of the wonderful scent of aromatic pipe smoke. As a kid, I assumed that pipe smoke would delight the smoker as much as the smell delighted me. And then there's the aesthetic of a well-made pipe, the handsome accessory of a few significant adult men in my young life. I have always thought that a pipe is the most practical yet sophisticated way to smoke tobacco. You're not in direct contact with the burning tobacco, for one thing. You also have a lasting object of beauty that reflects the craftsmanship of the maker, as well as the style of the pipe smoker himself (or herself).

As for the who of my inspiration to smoke a pipe, the first person who comes to mind is - get ready for the cliché - my paternal grandpa. For most of my youth, his signature blends were Sir Walter Raleigh and Amphora. My dad smoked pipes off-and-on, as did several relatives and close family friends, who always seemed to enjoy not just the smoking part but also the entire ritual. On top of the pipe smokers I knew personally, I was also influenced by the guys who appeared in TV and print advertisements for pipes and pipe tobacco like the gentlemen in the photos below. I thought they looked confident, mature, and discriminating, and I just liked their stylishness and cool image.

View attachment 30386

View attachment 30387View attachment 30388

When did pipes trigger my interest? Geez .... I'm pretty sure I've always been drawn to pipes and pipe smoking. As a kid, I loved spending time with the pipe smokers in my life. In my early teens, I started paying closer attention to their pipes, their favorite tobaccos, and the way they smoked. I'd wander around the local Tinder Box, gaze longingly at the pipes, and savor the ambient smoke. I liked the idea of pipe smoking as a hobby (rather than a habit) and could see myself trying it and liking it. I first tried smoking a pipe at about 14. I borrowed a bent rhodesian from my dad's pipe rack and tried smoking some of my grandpa's SWR in the garage when nobody was around. It wasn't the greatest experience in the world, but I enjoyed it well enough to keep trying. It took me a while to learn to pack, light, and puff properly. I also tried small cigars (Tiparillos, Black&Milds), which were okay but which actually made me love pipe smoking a lot more. I'd smoke a few bowls a week (in secret, naturally).

Smoking pipes in my teens was probably premature, but once I got the hang of it, I couldn't hold off until I turned 18. My dad's pipe made its way back to the pipe rack discreetly. It was easy enough for me to buy a Medico, a Dr. G, and mass-market blends like Amphora and Borkum Riff (more permissive times in the 80s). I never got caught, but maybe I should have. The more I smoked, the more I loved pipes and pipe tobacco. The only person who knew I'd taken up pipes was a high school friend who liked to partake with me, especially when he had his mom's house to himself and we could smoke freely for a whole afternoon or evening.

Turning 18 and starting college freed me to pursue the hobby without having to hide it. My new independence also gave me the chance to enjoy it on a whole new level. First thing I did after settling in at school was treat myself to a new pipe at a legit pipe shop. I bought a classic no-name saddle billiard with a smooth finish, which I still love to smoke. Along with my purchase, the shop guy offered me a complimentary pouch of any bulk tobacco I wanted to try. Predictably, he suggested - get ready for another cliché - Lane's 1Q, which smelled so delicious in the jar. I was more than happy to give it a try, even though I was a little nervous about lighting up in the shop (the only person who even knew I smoked was my high school pal). Gotta say that my first smoke from my new pipe was a notable step up from Borkum Riff in a Dr. G ... lol. That memorable experience made me want to show off my new pipe and boosted my confidence. I got more comfortable as a pipe smoker over time, especially after showing my new billiard to my roommate, who turned out to be a pipe guy himself. I loved being part of the brotherhood on campus and at the local tobacco shop. When my mom found out I smoked a pipe, she said something like "A pipe really suits you." Even at the tender age of 18, I really came to appreciate how smoking a pipe just seemed to be such a great fit for me - a totally comfortable way to love tobacco, relax, and socialize with like-minded guys.
johnscs, what a beautiful account you shared my friend. Amazingly compiled up in a literary fashion. I hope you are enjoying your blends even more than before. And yes, legacy does play an important role in acquiring a hobby from ancestors. And in your case, it payed off really well.

Enjoy your smokes and blends..
Happy Piping! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Grew up in the tobacco belt of North Carolina...everyone smoked back then.
stokesdale, if I'm not wrong, by tobacco belt, I hope you meant tobacco fields.. if yes, than you hold the hobby to the whole next level of enjoyment, smoking the very point where everything start from scratch.. beauty.

Enjoy your blends and smokes,
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: stokesdale

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
johnscs, what a beautiful account you shared my friend. Amazingly compiled up in a literary fashion. I hope you are enjoying your blends even more than before. And yes, legacy does play an important role in acquiring a hobby from ancestors. And in your case, it payed off really well.

Enjoy your smokes and blends..
Happy Piping! puffy

Wow — Thanks so much! What a generous and unexpected compliment. I really enjoyed adding to the thread and am glad you liked my post. Cheers.

• Love

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
I'm part of a intentional Christian community that lives together in shared houses.

There's a sister church that lives the same way in LA and when I visited them for the first time a year ago, all the men were smoking cigars and pipes.

They got me into cigars, smoked one or two every day that two weeks down there and then continued to when I got back to OR. Fast forward a year and now I like pipes even more than cigars.

The main influence was the founding pastor of that congregation down there, he was a grandfather figure to me and discipled me and I just wanted to do everything he did.

He was a Jesus loving, God fearing, stogie puffing, pipe clenching man and I admired him greatly. His children are like brothers and sisters to me, they all live in the intentional community in LA as well, and his son and son-in-law are avid cigar and pipe smokers too. So good tobacco and handsome pipes are something we regularly connect over and share together.

Rest in peace Pastor Rich.

After he passed this Spring I was given one of his many pipes by his son, a nice, very clenchable workhorse bent tomato from Wessex, decades old.