PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Unfortunately, I don't think it works that way. If it did, I can think offhand of a few guys on here whose score would be so high, exponents would be needed to indicate it. But no, I believe it has more to do with others reacting to your own posted content than the emphatic nature of your content itself. But I think you definitely get a gold star for effort/ingenuity in that arena.

I'll defer to the more experienced goddamn members here regarding a consensus for tasteful profanity usage.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
What others think, and what they think of my posts, if you can regard the muddled chowder that goes on in their heads thinking, is not my business.

In a nation of the HS educated there's not much thinking, or reading or writing or analysis. We have chosen stupidity because we like it.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
What others think, and what they think of my posts, if you can regard the muddled chowder that goes on in their heads thinking, is not my business.

In a nation of the HS educated there's not much thinking, or reading or writing or analysis. We have chosen stupidity because we like it.
Can't say I'm real impressed with what's coming out of colleges these days.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach

Stupid is easyer, at least till the consekuences come around

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know how this (reaction scores) are administered, but as a linguistic matter, reactions can be both positive or negative, so unless the reason for the reaction is clear, I'd say, ignore it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
OH MY GOSH!!! WHAT THE HECK IS A REACTION SCORE???

Will this reaction get a good score? Would it help if I used profanity....oh, um, I mean, yufamisms?

But really, what is it? Did I overlook it in the ground rules doc?
when people click on the like or other buttons. It's just a measure of how active you are in the forum. It really only effects things like if you can put pipes up for sale here. You know to make sure the people aren't just here to use this as a marketplace.
Oh I could have also went with... I take it you're not a chemist.

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
I don't know how this (reaction scores) are administered...
Looks like you get one "point" added to your "Reaction score" any time someone gives you any one of the six "reactions" available from within the pop-up menu of the "Like" button at the bottom of one of your posts (regardless of the connotation of the "reaction") .

Mar 1, 2014
I don't know how this (reaction scores) are administered, but as a linguistic matter, reactions can be both positive or negative, so unless the reason for the reaction is clear, I'd say, ignore it.
I'm pretty sure the Reactions Score only counts people giving your comments a "Like", so it would be inherently positive.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As regards schooling I don't think critical thinking develops until graduate school. HS teaches young animals, and most who go to college are there for job enhancement. Now if one finishes college and wants more study, they often choose the peculiar torment of graduate school, where they will receive all the reading and study that they can consume. In the course of this intellect and analysis grow.

But graduate school doesn't guarantee this. My brother went to law school and reads murder mysteries.

You don't get the ability to think critically unless you want it.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
As regards schooling I don't think critical thinking develops until graduate school. HS teaches young animals, and most who go to college are there for job enhancement. Now if one finishes college and wants more study, they often choose the peculiar torment of graduate school, where they will receive all the reading and study that they can consume. In the course of this intellect and analysis grow.

But graduate school doesn't guarantee this. My brother went to law school and reads murder mysteries.

You don't get the ability to think critically unless you want it.
My girlfriend is a PhD and watches those fashion design elimination reality-tv shows, you know the ones I mean. Sometimes you just gotta shut off your brain! Totally agree with the critical thinking statement. It requires effort to critically analyze.

Reaction scores are collected at the end of each “forum year” and the highest score wins a prize. Last year it was three pipe cleaners and a bowl’s worth of aged Borkum Riff Whiskey.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My girlfriend is a PhD and watches those fashion design elimination reality-tv shows, you know the ones I mean. Sometimes you just gotta shut off your brain! Totally agree with the critical thinking statement. It requires effort to critically analyze.

Reaction scores are collected at the end of each “forum year” and the highest score wins a prize. Last year it was three pipe cleaners and a bowl’s worth of aged Borkum Riff Whiskey.
I must admit that I forgot the high correlation between female PhDs and watching fashion design reality tv shows. But I assume she is, nonetheless, a critical thinker?

Reactions: Jaylotw

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I must admit that I forgot the high correlation between female PhDs and watching fashion design reality tv shows. But I assume she is, nonetheless, a critical thinker?
Yeah sometimes. My point, if I have one, is that even smart people like dumb shit! She’s in a science field and has to teach kids to be critical thinkers, most of them would just rather be told what to think unfortunately.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.