Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This is a NY Press article that ran in 1997 about my weekly table tennis group. My brother and our friends actually started playing together 1984–1985, but, the article refers to a 1989 date, which might’ve been when other people joined. My nickname came from the 1993 martial arts film. Members had to earn nicknames, usually bestowed by my brother, Tim.

spindoctors.jpg

Reactions: JOHN72

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've had a few over the years, some pleasant, some funny, and some I don't care to share.
My last name, Streeper, is translated to Spanish as "stripper" and carries with it the same meaning so I've heard that one nearly my entire life. My dad used to call me "Uno" because I was his first born son. In high school it was "Big Hurt." In the Coast Guard it was "Tex." Today it's just "Mr. S"

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
A lot! In primary school, all my friends called me "Dollah" or "Uncle Dollah" which was a Malay name given to me by my Malay teacher. Then, I was called "Superman" when I was in secondary school, because of my wavy hair and plastic frame glasses. And, in the same time, my close friend called me "Ah Tet", is like a short form of my name.

Until I came out to work, I was called "Big brother" in my previous years when I was in Volkswagen, due to I was quite a "long time" sales staff in that company. And now, my colleagues called me as "TL" or "HTL" as the short form of my name. 😬

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
At the nuke plant where I used to work, I was the preeminent science nerd. A coworker shook his head one day and said, gee, you're like Mr. Science! That stuck until Mr. got dropped and it morphed into just Science. 40 years later, retired coworkers still call me that when I see them.
Somehow it's not very comforting to know that someone with a keen interest in science is considered an oddball at nuke plants.

Buzz Saw

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2022
Southeast Indiana
Had a few over the years, but Buzz Saw came from a group of co-workers. I was the "old man" in a diesel truck shop, the young guys listened to a rock radio station called the "Buzz Saw". I found out later they kept the volume down because they thought it would get on my nerves. One night the Ronnie James Dio song Rainbow In The Dark came on and I told them to crank it up. Kid moved the volume knob about a hair width...I said CRANK IT UP. They started calling me Buzz Saw after that. The funny part to me is they were early twenties, I was mid forties but I swear they must have thought I was 85. I actually saw Dio in concert when they were probably in grade school.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Growing up my family called me MB, short for Michael Bruce, since my father was also a Mike. We have different middle names so thankfully I'm not a Jr. Once I started working there were a lot of Mike's so I just started going by Bruce, which I still do professionally. I later found out that my great-grandfather also went by his middle name of Bruce (my namesake) because his first name was Francis, it remains special to me. When I was on a cycling team they gave everyone nicknames and I was simply Mole, which is how my last name, Moehl, is pronounced.

JohnnyRockets

Lurker
Sep 1, 2022
Tecumseh, Michigan
High School - Beak (because of my mid-to-large nose) - it's even in the yearbook

Every job I've ever had - "Loch" - short version for my last name (because in any given room, there are usually 2 people named John)

Reactions: JOHN72

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Great topic.
The nickname that stuck on me the hardest was "Quasi". It was christened in the Summer of 2002 (19 years old),

I'll abridge the story for brevity's sake, and those who are still green behind the ears.

It was a typical evening gathering of 12-15 people in my buddies basement. There were cold barley-pops, and a pungent aroma wafting through the air (I don't mean latakia). In that sort of setting, one often gravitates toward the dim and ill-conceived.
There was a particularly inane activity called a "rising shotgun".

I took a "rising shotgun", blacked out, and fell face first to the floor.
I came to about 6 scones later - stood up- and one of my accomplices said "damn dude, you look like Quasimodo!"
Half my face had swollen from the impact. I escaped further injury as far as I know.

Even today I'll run in to someone I haven't seen in 10+ years and they'll call me Quasi.