PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

What was the reason you chose pipes? For me it was at thirteen. We watched white Christmas with bing. I thought when he lit his pipe he was the coolest dude in town. He made it look sooooo smooth, we used to go out in the corn fields after that and hollow out cobs and use a stripped down bic pen for a stem lol, then we took the corn tassel and dry it out and pack our pipes. Also wild grape vines were readily available and smoked just like cigs, but you want REAL tongue bite, smoke wild grape vines. Anyone else,or is it just me?

Last edited by a moderator:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For me, the smell of a burning pipe was just so alluring, I knew one day I would come around to the pipe, I’ve known ever since I was just a wee bitty lad, my brother and I could spend the entire day at the Tinder Box in the mall, screw the candy shop! My brother and I were drawn to the tobacco shop! When I worked at the post office I delivered mail to a retirment home. There was always this one man out smoking a pipe waiting for his mail and that was around the time I was giving up cigarettes so it just made since to transition over to the pipe, I always asked that guy questions about his pipe and what he smoked, finally, I decided it was time to give it a go. My ex father in law was a pipe smoker for many years, he gave me 6 pipes to start out with and turned me on to Latakia early on. His favorite smoke was Captain Black spiked with a heavy dose of Latakia. That was a good start, it kept me going. If I would have started on those house black cav aromatics I don’t know if I would have stuck with it but damn it they sure do smell good. My next quest was to find a blend that actually had some nicotine... and the rest is history.

I quit smoking cigs, but I still craved the taste of tobacco. It only made sense for me to switch to pipes, because I grew up among pipesmokers, and I've posted a bunch of stories about my uncles and their pipes over the years. You also still see lots of pipesmokers in this area, and I didn't even realize that it was a dying thing in other parts till I came here.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I’d already been a cigarette smoker by the time I got to college. I picked up a pipe at Madison Edwards just for fun and discovered, by accident, that I really enjoyed a slow smoke while studying and writing.

Pipes always intrigued me. I grew up when smoking was ubiquitous. People smoked pipes and cigars and especially cigarettes at the grocery store, laundromats, lobbies, waiting rooms; I always liked the smell of pipe smoke most. I suppose the kid I used to be tended to want to emulate the kind of men who smoked pipes. I’ll have to admit that played a part.