PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smmirza

Lurker
Mar 28, 2023
Arizona
www.willyounotreason.com
Hello fellow pipers,
My sister is headed to a tour of Europe and wanted to buy a gift for me there. I am thinking I might ask her to get me some tobacco which is unavailable/hard to get in the U.S. Any suggestions?

Jun 23, 2019
Amsterdam's not exactly known for pipe tobacco but I do remember seeing paper pouch Germain's blends at a cigar shop.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Halfzware is a pretty well known Dutch codger blend, not sure if it's still available. I know you specified tobacco but there's a Dutch pipe maker called Zenith which makes pipes out of porcelain, often with fine China art. As smokers they're pretty polarizing but it would definitely make a cool display piece

Reactions: vosBghos

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
There is 'Hajenius' at Rokin 96. A wonderful old cigar store in the middle of Amsterdam. One should go there just to see the place. Mostly cigars what they sell but they had a nice collection of pipetobaccos the last time I was there, a few years ago. They also blend there for their customers. They have a nice Balkan Sobranie 759 copy.
But usually I buy my tobaccos in Germany or on internet from the US and the UK.

Last edited:

EA/DC

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
the Netherlands
Halfzware is a pretty well known Dutch codger blend, not sure if it's still available. I know you specified tobacco but there's a Dutch pipe maker called Zenith which makes pipes out of porcelain, often with fine China art. As smokers they're pretty polarizing but it would definitely make a cool display piece
'Halfzware' is shag tobacco, a blond tobacco blend. There is also "Zware" shag, deep dark tobacco. One can smoke it in a pipe but it is mostly used for 'roll your own' cigarettes. Drum and Samson are the most sold ones, and van Nelle.

Reactions: UB 40 and vosBghos

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
'Halfzware' is shag tobacco, a blond tobacco blend. There is also "Zware" shag, deep dark tobacco. One can smoke it in a pipe but it is mostly used for 'roll your own' cigarettes. Drum and Samson are the most sold ones, and van Nelle.
Oh okay I always thought halfzware was a brand / blend. I've seen Drum often

Reactions: vosBghos

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
As a Dutchman, I can highly recommend Hajenius at Rokin. It’s an excellent store for cigars and pipe tobacco. They have several standard brands that are readily available (such as Winsløw, MacBaren, etc.). You can also blend your own tobacco or have it done for you. Been there recently.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
As a Dutchman, I can highly recommend Hajenius at Rokin. It’s an excellent store for cigars and pipe tobacco. They have several standard brands that are readily available (such as Winsløw, MacBaren, etc.). You can also blend your own tobacco or have it done for you. Been there recently.
Wow I've never heard of a place that lets you blend your own, that's pretty cool

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I smoked all of that half zwar species for a few centuries in my hand rolled cigarettes. I wouldn’t smoke them in a pipe. But I’m not sure why.
I used to love Van Nelle half zware and zware in rollies, but I also never tried it in a pipe. I imagine it would burn pretty hot with it's pube-like consistency. I believe the Van Nelle factory is considered a historic monument.

Reactions: UB 40