What to Look Out for When Buying Old, Used Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As soon as a pipe is bought from a retailer it becomes an estate pipe. Look at all of the unsmoked ones available.

My post was in part jest. Though:

Technically, an estate piece/item of anything is something bought from a deceased person's belongings (his estate).

I am aware how the meaning has morphed in the pipe world.

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
I received them yesterday. They are a real treasure trove
I like buying pipes that most people would think were garbage. That way if something goes wrong, it's not a loss. Cracked bowls, holes in stem, caked, etc. It's been a great way for me to get into the restoration hobby. I can Learn many different things as well, when I'm not afraid to hurt the pipe.

Its reassuring to hear that.

I received the pipes yesterday. In the end I didnt look out for anything, I had to rush after collecting them. They are very old. All the bowls look terrible in fact, and one or two have holes/cracks in the stem.

But I'm delighted with them. I'm not afraid to lose them in the process as you said. So will be excited to see if any turn out well.

Reactions: trubka2 and jpmcwjr

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I started to build a rotation of pipes, I bought two estate pipes that looked to be in reasonable condition judging by the pics.
Both were a waste of money.

Lesson learnt. Since then I will only buy lightly used estate pipes that have been professionally cleaned.
Fortunately I found two professional German ebay sellers that held regular auctions [the postage from Germany is much cheaper than from the U.S.] and now have some rather nice pipes.

Most of the estate pipes that I bought from these sellers I won at reasonable cost, around the same price or cheaper than the two dud estate pipes.

Here's one example that I won on ebay;
Dr Boston 1a.jpg

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Forgot to add; I will buy undamaged metal estate pipes because they are really easy to restore.
These five metal pipes I won for around $55aud including postage from the U.K.

Sorry I don't know how to upload pics from my phone but these cleaned up really well and are all good smokers.

Sellers pics;
a1ai.jpg