What to Look Out for When Buying Old, Used Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

In amongst the vast quantity of spare time I've been having recently I have been browsing second hand online stores. I've found an advert for a number of old French pipes for sale.

I thought it will be a good hobby in the future, to renovate them.

I'm looking for advice on what to look out for when I'm buying. They are old, and have obvious wear and tear as expected.
Are there non-obvious things I should look out for, that would be a waste of time trying to work on.

Thanks for any advice and I hope you are all well.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cracks anywhere in the briar; irregular charring and cake inside the chamber that may denote either a burnout or reamer damage; chewed up bit or holes in the bit; burnt down brims; makeshift repairs; blocked airway; misaligned or unseated stem.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1. Be prepared for the unexpected. Pictures can't reveal hidden flaws.
2. Be realistic regarding what you willing to do, or are capable of doing, in the way for a clean up.

Things I tend to avoid at this stage are pipes that have severely oxidized stems. I don't have the time to clean them up and in the end, the line between shank and stem can be ruined by the amount of material that needs to get removed. A slight bit of oxidation I don't care about.
Look out for pipes that have a severe amount of darkening along areas of the bowl. That often portends heat distress from being smoked way too hot.
Don't be surprised if an old pipe has fissures in the bottom of the chamber from being smoked too hot. That can be dealt with.
Look at the alignment of shank to stem for possible re-stemming.
Look for cracks. They never get better, though they can be dealt with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People have mentioned trouble-shooting. Also, if you school yourself in several brands of pipes, whether currently produced or long discontinued, you can learn about the history, choicest periods of product, and any especially desirable rarer items to look for. So if you come upon a real jewel, even if it isn't spruced up, you will know what you're seeing, like coin collectors spotting the rare ones in a handful of change.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
1. Be prepared for the unexpected. Pictures can't reveal hidden flaws.
2. Be realistic regarding what you willing to do, or are capable of doing, in the way for a clean up.

Things I tend to avoid at this stage are pipes that have severely oxidized stems. I don't have the time to clean them up and in the end, the line between shank and stem can be ruined by the amount of material that needs to get removed. A slight bit of oxidation I don't care about.
Look out for pipes that have a severe amount of darkening along areas of the bowl. That often portends heat distress from being smoked way too hot.
Don't be surprised if an old pipe has fissures in the bottom of the chamber from being smoked too hot. That can be dealt with.
Look at the alignment of shank to stem for possible re-stemming.
Look for cracks. They never get better, though they can be dealt with.
Good advice here. A really really green stem can take more time to remedy properly than anything.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Dampen down your excitement, otherwise you may end up making purchases you will regret later. Educate yourself on different carvers, styles, etc. Read, read, read. Take your time as MSO once advised. Follow different pipe repair blogs to see how repairs are done. Here's one site that has hundreds of pipe repair blogs. Dadspipes.com. Look under Blog, then go to the Archives link. Have fun!

Reactions: Apipeinthewoods

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After you've restored or refurbished an old, used pipe, it becomes an "estate pipe". It's magic!
As soon as a pipe is bought from a retailer it becomes an estate pipe. Look at all of the unsmoked ones available.