What to do with Pipes that Just Don't Click?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Title says it all. I've been an a virginia/vaper run for a few months know and decided to try some of my favorite English Westminster. It, just, sucked. So much so, that I filled my dunhill with a bowl and did back to backs, before realizing it was the pipe. In the dunhill it was amazing. In this Peterson, I couldn't get the intricacies--at all.

I've tried a few different blends in this pipe, and, they all come off incredibly muted and one dimensional. It's a very large bowl, which I thought were supposed to do well with English's. I'm bummed by this, and dropped a good amount on it.

Any suggestions? Keep it and come back to it over the years and see if it jives better? What do you do when a pipe just doesn't work for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MinnesotaNice

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Only one I have that fits that bill is a Rattray's seasonal as my first briar pipe purchase. I smoked a bowl in it and when I went to clean it, noticed the drilling had apparently been done by Helen Keller. I read the return policy, which told me it's my pipe forever now since I used it, so there it sits. It smokes ok, but getting a pipe cleaner through is like a Rubik's puzzle, so I rarely use it.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Chamber dimensions and pipe brands are mostly myth. Your technique is going to affect the smoking more than anything.
By technique I'm assuming you mean a technique tailored to the particularly pipe? If so, I guess I never really thought of that. With these two pipes I used the same "technique" but they tasted light years apart. Myth or not, I cannot tell, but anecdotally, they sang differently.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By technique I'm assuming you mean a technique tailored to the particularly pipe?
No, just overall smoking technique. Other than openness of the draw, I find no pipe smokes any differently than another excluding duration. My biggest deal breaker for a pipe is whether or not it can pass a pipe cleaner.

Don't they all get an autopsy first?
I've only ever cut open one pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With these two pipes I used the same "technique" but they tasted light years apart. Myth or not, I cannot tell, but anecdotally, they sang differently.
With neither being virgin briar, difference in residual ghosting can significantly affect flavor. Even minute difference in packing pressure and smoking cadence can make the difference between night and day. A pipe is just a straw, once broken in its adopted many flavors that have been through it, and if new, it'll mute flavors until broken in.

Last edited:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Maybe I have low standards. Every pipe I had a problem, with I just kept with it until it caked up and smoked right. The only pipes I don't tolerate are one's that burn hot and won't no matter what stop. But thats only been cheapo pipes, and only 2 . Both were under 20 bucks.