What to do with Pipes that Just Don't Click?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
A pipe that doesn't work for smoker A might be a total treat for smoker B.
Exactly. In most cases it’s a button not quite meshing with the teeth, the draw not being to one’s liking, or the balance not being now one prefers it. In all of these cases someone else may end up loving the pipe for the exact reasons you dislike it. In those rare cases where it’s just a bad piece of briar, isn’t drilled right, or God knows what else then I would toss it. I’ve only had one of those duds across the 15 or so briars I’ve tried and it was a basket pipe. I’ve also had one meer that was very poorly drilled and I gave it away to a member of this forum for free for him to see if he could fix it and make use of it (he knew of the poor drilling beforehand of course).

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@starrynight there are so many factors that could be contributing to this.

Overall, Peterson has a decent name in the pipe world, of course they make them in all price/quality ranges.

No matter the name/brand, or costs, your mileage might vary with any maker.

Show some pics and tell us how old the pipe is?

Next time you buy a pipe, be sure to read, if you haven’t, ‘The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, by Dr. Fred Hanna.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
@starrynight there are so many factors that could be contributing to this.

Overall, Peterson has a decent name in the pipe world, of course they make them in all price/quality ranges.

No matter the name/brand, or costs, your mileage might vary with any maker.

Show some pics and tell us how old the pipe is?

Next time you buy a pipe, be sure to read, if you haven’t, ‘The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking’, by Dr. Fred Hanna.

Giving it a read, thanks!

Reactions: PipeIT