What to do with Pipes that Just Don't Click?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I have never tossed a pipe. My poodle ate one, and I dropped one or two and broke them. But the ones that don't work for me I polish up and clean and pass it on to someone in some cases, and in others like some well carved wide - bowl artisan pipes and a dunhill I was gifted...I keep trying and hope my technique improves!

Reactions: starrynight

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
With neither being virgin briar, difference in residual ghosting can significantly affect flavor. Even minute difference in packing pressure and smoking cadence can make the difference between night and day. A pipe is just a straw, once broken in its adopted many flavors that have been through it, and if new, it'll mute flavors until broken in.
Yeah, I can get onboard with that.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
It's a tough call.

I've got this one beautiful fully bent acorn pipe which has never smoked right.

It lives in the rack and I look at it from time to time, much like a parent would look at their out-of-whack teenager, who you love; but, you know just can't get it together.

Somehow, you hope that magically, with time, it will change.

So, every other blue moon, I give it yet 'one more chance', and once again, it fails to perform.

I'm too cheap to throw it away; and, I'm too honest to stick someone else with my 'problem child'. - Sherm Natman

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Title says it all. I've been an a virginia/vaper run for a few months know and decided to try some of my favorite English Westminster. It, just, sucked. So much so, that I filled my dunhill with a bowl and did back to backs, before realizing it was the pipe. In the dunhill it was amazing. In this Peterson, I couldn't get the intricacies--at all.

I've tried a few different blends in this pipe, and, they all come off incredibly muted and one dimensional. It's a very large bowl, which I thought were supposed to do well with English's. I'm bummed by this, and dropped a good amount on it.

Any suggestions? Keep it and come back to it over the years and see if it jives better? What do you do when a pipe just doesn't work for you?
If you’re certain it’s not ghosted, be done with it. Life’s too short for a bad pipe.

Reactions: romaso

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Trash em if it’s there’s something objectively wrong (bad drilling for example). If it’s something subjective (chamber size isn’t my preference, bit doesn’t clench comfortably) I’ll try to trade or sell it on the forum. If that doesn’t work I trade it in to SP for store credit.
Right sell the looser to some one on this forum ?

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I think weather plays a part too. Barometric pressure, humidity and such. Some days I can smoke my favorites and the taste and aromas are very pleasing. Other days, just kind of "meh". I haven't figured out the correlation yet, but that's the only difference I can determine.
This is a HUGE factor for us up north. Smoking pipes is so much simpler when I vacation in the south or in summer over winter. Tobacco is more finicky in the cold weather, even indoors without wind or cold just with a lower humidity. Cold air is heavier and has higher concentration of oxygen.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Right sell the looser to some one on this forum ?
Wow someone didn't learn how to read in elementary school. You must either not know the difference between subjective and objective or just be trolling. After perusing your previous posts I'm going to go with the latter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm with wyfbane on this. Send it to SP for a few bucks of store credit on a pipe you think will be more satisfying. This is an opportunity to cull the herd and get rid of this one and maybe a few others that aren't fulfilling their spot on the rack.

Someone else might find these good enough, and you'll likely be pleased with a new or new-to-you pipe.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Title says it all. I've been an a virginia/vaper run for a few months know and decided to try some of my favorite English Westminster. It, just, sucked. So much so, that I filled my dunhill with a bowl and did back to backs, before realizing it was the pipe. In the dunhill it was amazing. In this Peterson, I couldn't get the intricacies--at all.

I've tried a few different blends in this pipe, and, they all come off incredibly muted and one dimensional. It's a very large bowl, which I thought were supposed to do well with English's. I'm bummed by this, and dropped a good amount on it.

Any suggestions? Keep it and come back to it over the years and see if it jives better? What do you do when a pipe just doesn't work for you?

What model is it, out of curiosity? Have you tried Virginia/VaPers in it as well, or just a variety of English blends? Is the draw too tight, or does it whistle/gurgle?

My first answer to this thread was pretty glib, but in some cases, sitting on a pipe that I didn't like at first and trying other blends in it has eventually produced a match. When a pipe doesn't work for me, I figure there's an above-average chance that the problem is just beyond the button. ;)