PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I'll be visiting Atlanta for a week and I'm looking for suggestions? Places to smoke, eat, what to see?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Where are you staying? Atlanta's pretty big and spread out, driving during certain times of the day is not fun at all due to the traffic. MARTA(public rail transit) is an option if you're staying downtown and are close to a station. It only goes North and South and East and West. Thing of the city of Atlanta as a big circle. The circle denotes I-285 or what is referred to as "The Perimeter". Marta lines layover that circle in a "plus" sign Orange/Yellow lines run North/South and Green/Blue Lines run East/West be never go further than the perimeter.
As far as things to do downtown there's is the GA Aquarium and World of Coca-Cola, touristy for sure. Not many places at all I know that you can smoke. There's a few cigar shops peppered around Atlanta, and I know there's one downtown adjacent to Centennial Olympic Park. Not much of a pipe tobacco selection, but I think you can smoke in the shop. Lots of places to eat downtown of course.
If you have a car you can drive to Tucker, GA and go to Stone Mountain. Incidentally Lane Ltd, is HQ'd in Tucker. Don't know if they do tours or not, but it might be worth an inquiry.
Shaintiques runs a pipe club in Hiram,GA that meets once a month, not sure when you're planning to visit. Again, if you're driving Atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the country so be prepared.
Hope you have a good time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Atlanta's sprawl is significant. I'd look at a tourism book at a bookstore, whether you buy it or not, to find two or three possibly good restaurants at least in the quadrant of the city where you are staying so you don't have to haul around overmuch. Should be some good Southern cooking, and with a little work you might find some good international food. My one trip to Atlanta was "blighted" by mediocre chain restaurants where young people were cooking out of loose leaf folder instructions, no aspiring chefs in the bunch, just tuition money needed. A few of those meals and you aren't sure you need to eat until you get home.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you're looking for fine dining Nikolai's Roof is a great choice. It's been many years since I've been there but I always had a spectacular dinner there.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60898-d435282-Reviews-Nikolai_s_Roof-Atlanta_Georgia.html

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
For downtown, you have the aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, and College Football Hall of Fame all within a block or two of each other. Not many smoke friendly places, but there is a small cigar store called the Cigar Times in the same area.
My recommendation is a short Uber ride to Little 5 Points. Kind of a hippie/hipster neighborhood with a lot of small bars and shops. Definitely stop in to the Euclid Avenue Yacht Club, which is smoke friendly. Great burgers at the Vortex. Fox Brothers BBQ is some of the best rated in Atlanta. Not too far from there is the Highland Cigar Co., which is a nice cigar bar. If you're on an expense account, Wisteria, Sotto Sotto, and One Eared Stag, are some of the best restaurants in town.
East Atlanta is actually my neck of the woods. The Glenwood, Graveyard, Earl & Flat Iron are all smoke friendly. Earl has the best bar food in town. Midway is a great sports bar. Argosy has the best beer selection.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're an art museum rat like me, they have a good one (though I missed it for business scheduling reasons). If I'm remembering, I think it's The High (I assume not referring the sobriety of the visitors). The great photographer Diane Arbus right now, among much else.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh boy, The Varsity sounds good. A good 'dog is a sacred thing. Nathans in NYC, Superdog in Chi, and now I know where to go when in Atlanta.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
I enjoy the traffic, McMansions, and strip malls. Just go, you can't miss 'em!

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I'll keep checking back in case you guys think of more places to visit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.