What Technique Do You Use for Brewing Loose Tea?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Johs Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I have a simple, no fuss method: I use a 4 cup, drip Mr. Coffee devoted just to tea. I simply place the amount of tea I wish for the particular strength I wish to achieve without bitterness into the basket and turn it on. Always makes a perfect pot of tea for me.

Reactions: username

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Using a Chinese purple clay pot. Preheat, 3.5g per 250mL. Boiling water,
Assam, Nilgiri, Keemun, and Lapsang - 4 minutes
Sikkim & Kenya 3 minutes
Darjeeling and Ceylon 2.5 minutes
Hunan - 6 minutes

Green tea 4g/250mL @195°
Taiwan rinse, wait a minute, brew 3 min
Japan and China 2.5 min
Gyokuru - haven't figured out yet but like 185° 1 minute?

Puerh and oolong tea I use a gaiwan and brew it gongfu style.
Ripe puerh boiling
Raw puerh and black oolong 205°
Green oolong 200°

Kapnosis1988

Might Stick Around
Mar 5, 2021
Mandan, North Dakota, USA
Lovely video rushx9, what a delicate process. Seems like a true connoisseur's method. I'm curious though, how does the taste of actual tea differ from a basic infusion method like a strainer pot or french press? Also would you be able to say what the driving principle is behind this elaborate process? Simply better tea or something else?

Last edited:
Reactions: rushx9

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Lovely video rushx9, what a delicate process. Seems like a true connoisseur's method. I'm curious though, how does the taste of actual tea differ from a basic infusion method like a strainer pot or french press? Also would you be able to say is the driving principle behind this elaborate process? Simply better tea or something else?
You get more caffeine, flavour and color without astringency, imo, at least for the first 5 brews.

It doesn't need to be complicated. And you technically don't need any fancy equipment. You could just use a measuring cup or something. I'm sure an expert could clarify, but the principle is that you would be using twice as many leaves as usual and brewing for a much shorter period of time. I just go by feel on those parameters.

Simply try it with a teabag if that is all you have and you want to see. Double up on the bags and brew it for 10-20 seconds with half the water. Then compare to your usual.

Reactions: edger and rushx9

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I believe it is called a glass gongfu.
A bunch of different things came up when I googled that. The idea is that you put leaves in the top, fill just the upper container with water, wait, then press a button which opens a valve and let's the tea drain down below. If you have a tall one you can brew several times and combine multiple steepings. I've seen them locally. You might be able to call around if you have Asian stores. Kamjove is a good brand. There's some cheap other ones out there.

Reactions: edger

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
depends on the tea

Standard teabag “British” tea - boil kettle, stick tea bag in mug and add water. Assess colour and remove teabag.

Loose leaf -

Boil kettle (to correct temperature for tea type I have a variable temp one.
Weigh out tea leaves.
Warm the pot and cup.
Add leaves and water and brew for appropriate time for type of leaf and the number of infusions in I am.
Pour tea and drink.

If using a standard pot I use a strainer but I have a smaller pot that has it built into the lid.

Matcha is done with the traditional scoop, whisk and bowl.

Love tea.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Get a nice porcelain teapot and a nice tea cozy. Put one teaspoon of loose tea for the teapot, and one teaspoon per person you are serving. Add hot water just before full boil. About 6-7 oz per person. Cover with tea cozy. And wait 3-5 minutes depending on how strong you want the tea. Serve with sugar cubes and milk. Works for breakfast teas and others.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Looks nifty, could pour into a thermos to halt the steep and keep it hot. But I suppose the glass would get clouded over time, no?
Those only brew about 50-100mL at a time and it empties into the container below. You couldn't keep it warm, except maybe by putting the pot on a hot pad or element. You just have to drink it.

Reactions: edger and rushx9

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is a fantastic guide that explains much better than I can.

*although, I use a bit less heat with lighter Oolongs. I believe this guide is referring to the darker Fujians and roasted Taiwan Oolong.
oolongs really can range between practically green to practically black. And adjusting the time and heat according to which type makes a huge difference.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Lovely video rushx9, what a delicate process. Seems like a true connoisseur's method. I'm curious though, how does the taste of actual tea differ from a basic infusion method like a strainer pot or french press? Also would you be able to say what the driving principle is behind this elaborate process? Simply better tea or something else?
If brewed correctly, the taste is smoother, less bitter, and more like a journey through flavor as it changes with each round. Some even log in a tea journal so they know how to retrace their steps to their own perfect cuppa.
You could absolutely brew the same quality cup with a small teapot and strainer if you are just as careful with water temps, steep times, and tea type.
To once again tie this back to pipe smoking, tea can be as simple as cramming an OTC in a cob -by just picking a popular bagged tea and tossing it in a mug with hot water, or it can be as complicated and ritualistic as slicing a plug to your preferred thickness, rubbing out to your desired consistency, drying to the ideal humidity, packing with a careful hand or prescribed method, false light/true light, and carefully watching your cadence to pull the peak flavor from the entire bowl.
Some derive the most satisfaction from a simple, relaxing, thought free method that works just fine, while others get their kicks figuring out their own path to perfection through careful observation, trial and error, and most importantly, thoughtful intent.
Basically, if your idea of a good time looks a lot like certifiable neurosis, as does mine, gongfu is the method for you?. Absolutely nothing wrong with plonkin' a bag in a cup and going about your day!
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.