What Technique Do You Use for Brewing Loose Tea?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Here’s a quick description from an excellent source of teas:

Reactions: rushx9

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I use a Bonavita electric kettle to heat the water and I place my loose leaf teas in unbleached drawstring filter tea bags.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Pardon my ignorance but could you describe gong-fu? And of course what is a gawain?
Gong fu is the same word as Kung Fu. Both just mean doing a thing in the most artful way possible. In the west, we associate Kung-fu with martial arts, but in parts of China, it is pronounced more like Gong, so using the correct word in this case helps prevent confusion due to western misconceptions.
Gong fu cha is tea brewed carefully, with intent to make the perfect cup(s). A Gaiwan is a teacup with a lid that is used as a teapot. More tea is used than would typically be expected, but if brewed properly, one gaiwan of leaves can produce between 7 and 25 cups of tea. Because the flavonoids enter solution before the tannins, you can brew over and over without the tea becoming bitter. Or you can brew until you hit a your maximum bitterness threshold, or there is simply no flavor left. The catch is, you must use a proper ratio of tea to water, and use exactly the correct temperature of water, all of which change with every different tea and cut. At first this takes a lot of research, trial, and error.
After awhile, it's all second nature, especially if you are familiarized with the tea being brewed.
In fact, Gongfu brewing allows for a deeper understanding of the tea, much like pipe smoking allows for a deeper understanding of tobacco and how it reacts to temperature, cadence, and pipe selection.
While a very decent cuppa can be brewed from bags, there is no comparison to the depth of flavors that can be experienced with proper brewing of tea cakes and whole leaf teas. Very much like the difference between a pack of nails and tins of high quality pipe tobacco.
I find so many parallels can be drawn between pipe tobacco and good tea, all the way from their exotic origins, imperial propagation, growing regions, production and packaging methods, consumption, and combination of relaxing and stimulating properties.
I could obviously go on all day?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
@hairvise , have you ever bought from Yunnan Sourcing? I've gotten great deals from both the original Yunnan page and the US distributor. Shipping is, of course, much quicker from the US site, but selection is much deeper on the Yunnan page.

• Love
Reactions: hairvise
I get the water boiling in a medium sauce pan. Then add a large family sized tea bag. I wait three minutes, then remove the tea bag, and add a fistful of mint that grows in my window boxes. I also dissolve three cups of sugar in there.
I then pour this concentrated mixture into a gallon sized glass jug full of ice. Not just any ice, but the ice from the bottom of the ice bin. The good stuff, coated in frost.
Then, I top it off with cold water. Squeeze and drop a whole lemon in there, amd put it in the fridge. Best served in a large clean glass full of ice and another sprig of mint.
We prefer Louisiana, but never that cold brew shit. That’s for commies. puffy

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I get the water boiling in a medium sauce pan. Then add a large family sized tea bag. I wait three minutes, then remove the tea bag, and add a fistful of mint that grows in my window boxes. I also dissolve three cups of sugar in there.
I then pour this concentrated mixture into a gallon sized glass jug full of ice. Not just any ice, but the ice from the bottom of the ice bin. The good stuff, coated in frost.
Then, I top it off with cold water. Squeeze and drop a whole lemon in there, and put it in the fridge. Best served in a large clean glass full of ice and another sprig of mint.
We prefer Louisiana, but never that cold brew shit. That’s for commies.
Just like Mama used to make! Though we didn't do it so sweet in Tennessee as y'all do in Alabama.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Do you tend to lose much heat throughout the tranfers etc.?
A bit. This can be a good thing with some greens. But to avoid that with other types, I pour directly from the gaiwan into a small espresso cup and drink while steeping the next round. After a few rounds I take a break, then when I want to drink more I reboil the remaining water, or if I want an optimal cup, I brew a fresh kettle. It's not uncommon for the best flavor to come from the 3rd or 4th brewing, but the most caffeine is always in the first couple of cups.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
This is a fantastic guide that explains much better than I can.

*although, I use a bit less heat with lighter Oolongs. I believe this guide is referring to the darker Fujians and roasted Taiwan Oolong.

Status
Not open for further replies.