PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Cobs are more forgiving, and more absorbent I think, they don't punish you for bad technique, but I also don't think they allow for the very best of smoking the way a briar can - I have never experienced the low simmer temperature that a briar can maintain in a cob, and that's right where the best flavors lie for most blends.

I’ve tried cobs, if you like the taste of corn cobs, then you’ll have an opinion. But, As a farmer who deals with a lot of corn and rotten corn cobs, I have found NOTHING tastes better with corn cob added to the flavor.
I much prefer the subtle aroma of warmed briar. When I first joined this forum, there was much more discussion about the aroma of the briar and other woods or materials used in pipes, but as the years go by, forum members with such skills at picking out the briar aroma has dwindled. And, noticing people posting about Sutliff’s 515 tasting like McClelland (and other such tobacco posts) has led me to believe that most forum members just don’t have a sense of taste any more.
If you don’t taste the pipe material, then what does it matter what you smoke what in? If you taste the material, then you probably don’t smoke cobs…. Period.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I’ve tried cobs, if you like the taste of corn cobs, then you’ll have an opinion. But, As a farmer who deals with a lot of corn and rotten corn cobs, I have found NOTHING tastes better with corn cob added to the flavor.
I much prefer the subtle aroma of warmed briar. When I first joined this forum, there was much more discussion about the aroma of the briar and other woods or materials used in pipes, but as the years go by, forum members with such skills at picking out the briar aroma has dwindled. And, noticing people posting about Sutliff’s 515 tasting like McClelland (and other such tobacco posts) has led me to believe that most forum members just don’t have a sense of taste any more.
If you don’t taste the pipe material, then what does it matter what you smoke what in? If you taste the material, then you probably don’t smoke cobs…. Period.
Another Sutliff attack.… Some of us question your taste :)

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Bad Sport, me? I reference one tobacco in my post and this guy says I was attacking the brand. Sounds a like the overly sensitive type to me... yeh, I probably mad him cry with that statement. Ha ha. I'll just get back to fields and let you cob lovin' boys work this one out.
i would not have said anything but, you have a history of doing exactly this, and with this blend. You have even once referred to it as a “vinegar aromatic”. You can like or not like whatever to hell you want. To diminish the tastes of cob smokers and those that like a particular tobacco smacks of an arrogance that, you just made me feel like pointing out.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Bad Sport, me? I reference one tobacco in my post and this guy says I was attacking the brand. Sounds a like the overly sensitive type to me... yeh, I probably mad him cry with that statement. Ha ha. I'll just get back to fields and let you cob lovin' boys work this one out.
yeah man, no need to name call. Serves no useful purpose and doesn’t further your weak cob argument.

since you grow corn, I wish I still had some hickory cane cobs . Have you grown that variety?

I wish I still had some hickory cane cobs . Have you grown that variety?
No, I had to google it. I mostly grow commercial varieties, but I do plant a bed of sweet corn for family needs. I did plant a row of corn that a local forum member gave me that was from Missouri Meerschaum. Supposedly it was seed for the corn that MM uses with large diameter cobs, but none of the seeds took. He said that they might have been from a few years earlier when he gave them to me. So, no telling how old they were.

You have even once referred to it as a “vinegar aromatic”

So, someone with a different perspective bothers you? Just click that little "ignore" icon and live a much fuller and rewarding life.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
No, I had to google it. I mostly grow commercial varieties, but I do plant a bed of sweet corn for family needs. I did plant a row of corn that a local forum member gave me that was from Missouri Meerschaum. Supposedly it was seed for the corn that MM uses with large diameter cobs, but none of the seeds took. He said that they might have been from a few years earlier when he gave them to me. So, no telling how old they were.

So, someone with a different perspective bothers you? Just click that little "ignore" icon and live a much fuller and rewarding life.
I suggest you might do the same…

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With complete subjectivity, I'll say that many English blends taste more complete and complex in briar than in cob. Whereas, many aromatics and two and three constituent tobacco blends, and especially burley-based, really sing in a cob. But much depends on mood and specific blends. Meerschaum gives the most distinct and pure tasting of blends in my experience. This is all about me; you may have exactly the opposite experiences.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Taste is subjective so it will depend upon the individual. I prefer Briar but also find cob and meer to provide great smokes.
There really are none. Any well drilled pipe regardless of material is going to give you a good smoke.

Agreed. A well designed pipe is a good smoking pipe. Beyond that, it comes down to personal taste. I prefer the way briar smokes but that is a personal preference.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
taste is funny. Because even if they don't pick it out they still probably taste it. Just don't know what it actually is. Kind of like cigarette paper. Also it's funny how you can trick peoples senses. If enough people tell you something has no taste somehow you'll miss that aroma or flavor.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
taste is funny. Because even if they don't pick it out they still probably taste it. Just don't know what it actually is. Kind of like cigarette paper. Also it's funny how you can trick peoples senses. If enough people tell you something has no taste somehow you'll miss that aroma or flavor.
reminds me of how children will say different colored M&Ms taste different. But most adults insist they don't and they all have the same flavor. Well the dyes they use are nearly neutral in flavor but nearly isn't entirely. And the thing is they do taste slightly different from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.