PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I have one briar pipe, and a cob on the way to me in the mail. I've enjoyed smoking my briar just fine thus far, but naturally I'm also curious to try a cob.

And I keep reading some variant on the phrase "[blank] smokes/tastes better in a cob". Virginias tastes better in a cob, burleys smoke better in a cob, etc. Obviously, such a claim is a matter of personal preference, but I'm definitely seeing more praise for cobs when it comes to flavor.

Which begs the question: what tastes better in a briar pipe? And if cobs are so prized for how well they deliver flavor, what are the big advantages of briars besides durability and aesthetics?

Reactions: kcghost

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
This Apple wood pipe with a Black Ash shank smokes superbly…

8-D142-BAE-9483-47-A4-A46-F-6-A0-FCB3-AF80-C.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
I have one briar pipe, and a cob on the way to me in the mail. I've enjoyed smoking my briar just fine thus far, but naturally I'm also curious to try a cob.

And I keep reading some variant on the phrase "[blank] smokes/tastes better in a cob". Virginias tastes better in a cob, burleys smoke better in a cob, etc. Obviously, such a claim is a matter of personal preference, but I'm definitely seeing more praise for cobs when it comes to flavor.

Which begs the question: what tastes better in a briar pipe? And if cobs are so prized for how well they deliver flavor, what are the big advantages of briars besides durability and aesthetics?
In my opinion, most of the positive sentiment surrounding Missouri Meerschaum Cobs is actually because of the overall design of the Cobs, not the corn cob material (and I would say the same for Briars, people don't actually care what the Briar tastes like aside from it tasting "mostly neutral", and virtually any material will "taste good" after being caked up with tobacco).

The engineering of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs is almost totally unique in the pipesmoking world, the shank has a very wide bore and the plastic stems are molded to maintain a wider airway through the button than almost any briar pipe ever has, barring maybe a few of the most carefully crafted artisan pipes.
If you want your pipe to draw like a Cob, chances are you'd need to spend over $100 to have someone hand craft a stem with that specific goal in mind. Even then I have doubts that most pipemakers would even have the right tools to do it properly.

Then again some people don't like an overly free draw, so it's still not an objective "improvement", just a different style (that happens to be very rare outside of Cobs).

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I find that the hay-like taste of some varietals will vary, in a briar tasting more like slightly wet cut hay, after a light rain in august, when they sun is back out, warming the earth. In a cob the hay flavour is more dry, like a hot fall day after the hay is cut and bailed, bright blue skies and no wind.

I just made that up. So many things change the flavour more than the pipe material I don’t spend any time thinking about it. Brush your teeth right before a bowl if you want to see what really affects flavour.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Honestly, outside of English blends and codgers, there isn't a huge difference between the two. Either way, you are (or should be) tasting the tobacco (or casing, as the case may be). For me, the difference comes down to location. Sometimes I'm someplace where I wouldn't want to bring a briar I paid good money for. So a cob will be the smoking apparatus.

English blends just plain do not taste good to me in a cob. I've tried many blends in many cobs and it just doesn't work for me. But codger burleys absolutely sing in a cob. Good in a briar, great in a cob.

But this is only reflecting my tastes. You milage will probably vary a little. So load up that Missouri Meerschaum with whatever your heart fancies and give it a whirl!

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
It's going to be different for everyone but I find that cobs have some sort of "cool and sweet" taste to them. Strangely enough...... a bit like eating corn ?. That seems to tame many harsh or strong tobaccos for me. But when all is said and done, briar brings out the real flavor of the tobacco more than cobs but that's just one individuals opinion.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I find that the hay-like taste of some varietals will vary, in a briar tasting more like slightly wet cut hay, after a light rain in august, when they sun is back out, warming the earth. In a cob the hay flavour is more dry, like a hot fall day after the hay is cut and bailed, bright blue skies and no wind.

I just made that up. So many things change the flavour more than the pipe material I don’t spend any time thinking about it. Brush your teeth right before a bowl if you want to see what really affects flavour.
Sure hope you're using round bales...LOL!!

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I have found Missouri Meerschaum long stem varieties to greatly reduce there influence their flavor on tobacco. The bowl sizes are huge, look good n smoke great. I smoke aros and English in both styles brier and cob. I recently bought enough pipes to keep some for English n some aros. If it's late night, alone outside and smoking a really good English, a brier does have a romantic quality. If you find the corn taste a little strong, try a strong tasting tobacco to overpower it

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I think the wide open draw on corn cobs might have something to do with the perceived difference. That can be fixed to a point with filters and pipe mud. Don't put much weight on the cob flavor until you've smoked it a handful of times. I get rid of the wood stem to prevent that from adding unwanted flavor. But ultimately you'll have to try both and see for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.