PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
From what I can tell F1 isn't anywhere near as big in the US as it is in Europe and Brazil.
Right. I always tell people I’m one of the three F1 fans in the US. ?
In spite of the Indy 500 arguably being the world’s biggest racing event, no open wheel racing of any type has really caught on here. It’s a shame. I’d love to see some American drivers, too. Rossi has the talent, but Haas screwed the pooch and didn’t offer him a drive. So they let a future Indy 500 winner walk so they could keep a no-name Ferrari test driver and Grosjean, who has a love affair with the walls. ?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England
Right. I always tell people I’m one of the three F1 fans in the US. ?
In spite of the Indy 500 arguably being the world’s biggest racing event, no open wheel racing of any type has really caught on here. It’s a shame. I’d love to see some American drivers, too. Rossi has the talent, but Haas screwed the pooch and didn’t offer him a drive. So they let a future Indy 500 winner walk so they could keep a no-name Ferrari test driver and Grosjean, who has a love affair with the walls. ?

I think Monaco and the Indy 500 might be tied for biggest race in the world. Le Mans is up their also. The only man to do the triple crown and win all three is the late great Graham Hill. I know Fernando Alonso was trying to become the second to do it, he's won Monaco and Le Mans and entered the Indy 500, but he wasn't successful. He's gonna be back in F1 next year which is brilliant news as he's a top driver and one of my favourites.

if there was an American F1 driver who could challenge and maybe win the championship, like the great Mario Andretti did back in the day, then F1 would be a lot more popular in the US.
When Schumacher was dominating F1 the interest in Germany went way up.
I think F1 has always been big in the UK because we have British teams like Williams and McLaren, and there always seems to be at least one top British driver. From Jim Clark to Sterling Moss, Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, Nigel Mansel, Damon Hill, Jenson Button and of Course Hamilton. Whatever the era there's always a Brit challenging which keeps the public interested. America doesn't have that so I can see why perhaps it isn't as big over there.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Yeah, he didn’t even qualify last go-round. ☹

Yeah, he didn't have much luck. Mansell did the business when he came to Indycar fresh off of winning the F1 crown. The legendary Paul Newman was part owner of the team Mansell raced for.
Loved his cars and motorsports did Newman. Just like the iconic Steve McQueen.
They don't make actors quite like them anymore, two of my favourites of all time?.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since a lot of talk about F-1 racing is afoot, there's quite a series on Netflix covering last two seasons. Lot of background info that this newbie to racing, and old hands might also appreciate it.

The series is called, oddly enough, Formula 1.....

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't care for any sports that involves playing with balls. Most of my early years were spent doing martial arts. Not that I'm good with it, just stupid enough to keep going. Kendo is my favorite. Love watching kendo matches of high ranking teachers, or Japanese police. For awhile, followed hockey. But after the Rangers won the cup, I didn't feel any further need to watch it. I mean, what's the chance of them winning again in my life time?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Since a lot of talk about F-1 racing is afoot, there's quite a series on Netflix covering last two seasons. Lot of background info that this newbie to racing, and old hands might also appreciate it.

The series is called, oddly enough, Formula 1.....
If you can find the documentary “1,” you should absolutely watch it. Very well done, and covers a lot of the history of the sport. It was available as an Amazon Prime video for free streaming for a while (maybe it still is).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Rugby Union,MotoGP and one not seen on normal tv Sidecar motocross.
I used to like F1 in the 1970/80s but now it is terrible very little overtaking and I cant stand the Mercedes/ hamilton show
Absolutely no interest in tennis/horse racing and sorry an American sports baseball/basketball/grid iron.
Living in Greece there is quite a lot of interest in Basketball but I dont like the continuous stop/ start of it

Status
Not open for further replies.