PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariorossi

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2018
Italy
Hello guys,

a friend of mine have found this beautiful Castello in his house, he don't smoke and is thinking of selling it.

Do you have any idea how much this pipe is worth?

The model is "Castello “Castello” KKKK shape 93 - Carlo Scotti era"

Thank you

c463a9a9-1799-4d6d-bb26-c63102b50873.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I would reckon $150. Smooth Castello Freehand - not a lot of demand. But then again just because it has the name “Castello” somebody might be willing to spend stupid money on it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Watch smoking pipe.com's estate pipe pages for a while for Costello's and see how the pricing runs. You probably won't see this pipe, but it will give you a sense of the range. Like artworks and antiques, estate pipes have no settled "bluebook" value and can run low or high in any particular auction.

This pipe is not in Costello's current popular style, and there is no plateau on the brim or shank, so I think you will get somewhat less for that vintage. It looks like it is well maintained.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Overlooked the nice stand. My GF gifted me an estate stand very similar. I do wish more folks gave attribution to photos that aren't theirs.
I remember one time I found a pipe, a stand and a white box in my house.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
The pipe has a nice wavy rim, a floc in a different color briar and birds-eye on one side. But it isn't an "Occhio de Pernice," a higher grade than "Castello," which means that the grain on the side we don't see is probably mediocre. The chamber and rim are pretty charred. I'm not sure the fact it's ostensibly from the Carlo Scotti era adds value. Without knowing the condition of the pipe, I think if you offered your friend $150, it would be a win-win.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The estimates of $200-300 seems reasonable. What he can get depends on finding the right buyer. As was said, it's not a popular shape. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.