PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Remember those cool carrying cases they used to have? Perhaps one of those exists for pipes...

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Delk...same here. I usually smoke at least 5 bowls a day, up to 10 at at the shows, and never the same pipe twice in a row. So I need at least 10-12 pipes for the show and expect to buy several more. Then there are the one or two to trade or sell. Friends usually select a theme, say Barling Quaints, and everyone brings these to show and discuss too. I have a separate carry on just for pipes.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
They usually do a meetup in the smoking tent. I imagine it will occur again. Otherwise, just set a time for everyone to gather. Kinda like when you got lost in the supermarket as a kid.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Consider taking more pipes than you usually smoke. Chances are, you'll be smoking more than you usually do!

Les' advice above is good. You probably don't want to take your world class pipes unless you just like to show them off. If it's any kind of decent pipe show, somebody somewhere might have a bit too much Scotch, and that somebody could be you...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jefff, others, just put your Forums "name" below your own name on the name tag, maybe like, "mso489/Forums" and that should provide an introduction. If I'm glazed over, it won't be Scotch, it will be agonizing decisions on what/whether to buy.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
I bring at least 10 and none of my high end or sentimental pipes....because I lose stuff

Also I'd recommend leaving some empty slots in your carrier or pipe case

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
What are the deals like at these shows. Any advise.
The deals can be great. You are in most cases interacting face to face with the actual pipe maker or owner of the particular store or shop. You can haggle, you can trade, you can work the deal. The "pre-show" that happens in the smoking tent is often a great place to find a deal, but you have to be quick. Then... if you wait until Sunday, often guys are discounting what they have left on their table.
It's huge and overwhelming, so be prepared and don't be surprised if you walk away feeling like you didn't see everything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
johnnyiii, do some on-line shopping before the show for the kinds of pipes that interest you, so you'll have ballpark ideas on prices. Most exhibitors at the pipe show I attend give at least a small discount in the asking price. I'd suggest, be diplomatic in negotiating. Especially with artisans, you don't want to low-ball the prices too much, because the pipes are their babies. At least give warning if you need to bid significantly lower -- "I'd really like to get this pipe, but I need the price to be somewhat lower, like $XXX.xx." If the seller turns pale, quickly bid again, as high as you can go. You can't script these things before hand, but that's the idea. Likewise, for sellers who are retailing pipes (not their own) if you want to negotiate, you'll get one chance, so keep it reasonable. If you keep offering low-ball prices, the exhibitor will just laugh you off. Remember, this is job income for most of these people. When you like the pipes/tobacco/accessories, but aren't buying at the show, grab a business card if it's available, to help you remember names and get emails and phone numbers, and jot on the back of the card what caught your eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.