PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
You have to use the tools that work for you. I wouldn't put too much into Amazon reviews for most items. A lot of people seem to have unrealistic expectations. If you're curious you should try one, if only to satisfy the curiosity. Nothing too crazy, maybe something like a Lamy Safari. Some people start with those and end up staying with them, even after buying more expensive pens. Fountain pens can be a bit fussy, but nothing extraordinarily so. The majority of my pens I just fill up and don't have to think about anything until it's time to refill or clean it. However, paper does matter, especially with a broader nib or wetter ink. Noodler's makes an ink called X-Feather which works well on most cheaper paper. Whatever you decide, from the photos you provided, what you're using now is definitely working for you!
I actually had a Lamy Safari a few years ago and didn't care for it at all. The nib was blunt and I couldn't get good clean lines with it at all. I contacted someone who does work on fountain pens and was told I could get the nib sharpened, etc., but it would've cost more than the pen itself. I just went back to my Sharpies and have been happy with them for many years. I get the results I want and that's all that matters to me.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
I actually had a Lamy Safari a few years ago and didn't care for it at all. The nib was blunt and I couldn't get good clean lines with it at all. I contacted someone who does work on fountain pens and was told I could get the nib sharpened, etc., but it would've cost more than the pen itself. I just went back to my Sharpies and have been happy with them for many years. I get the results I want and that's all that matters to me.
Absolutely, using what makes you happy is what it's all about. Your work looks incredible to me, so, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Absolutely, using what makes you happy is what it's all about. Your work looks incredible to me, so, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
I actually admire you fellows with fountain pen collections. I wish I knew someone personally who had some so I could try them out. My parsimony is to the point to where I'm rarely willing to spend money to "try" something out. I just stick with what I know in most things.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Oh, and thanks for the compliment! My work is a bit like if Tolkien's calligraphy had an ugly first cousin. You can obviously spot his influence, but I've added my own flair. I'm sure he did the same in his own time since there is nothing truly original under the sun. Penmanship is a lot of fun.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Oh, and thanks for the compliment! My work is a bit like if Tolkien's calligraphy had an ugly first cousin. You can obviously spot his influence, but I've added my own flair. I'm sure he did the same in his own time since there is nothing truly original under the sun. Penmanship is a lot of fun.
You are very welcome. It sure is fun. I play around with calligraphy a bit but it's certainly nothing to write home about, or with! But practicing is definitely fun.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
I actually admire you fellows with fountain pen collections. I wish I knew someone personally who had some so I could try them out. My parsimony is to the point to where I'm rarely willing to spend money to "try" something out. I just stick with what I know in most things.
True, being able to try them goes a long way. I'm lucky enough to have a B&M shop not too far from me and that makes decisions a lot easier. Comparatively speaking, even a lower end fountain pen can be quite an investment on what basically amounts to an archaic tool. If something is working for you, that's the way to go.

Reactions: PaulRVA and Tate

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
For a newbie. Twsbi Eco would be my recommendation. Sufficiently interesting. Comfortable. Good nib. Really impressed with mine.

I really want to like a Kaweco sport, but I feel they are for hands smaller than mine.

Lamy Safari and the similar Al Star. Good quality pen and nibs, but you need to like the triangular grip. I hate the grip.

So I am sticking with my Twsbi Eco recommendation as it is a decent and reasonable pen.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
For a newbie. Twsbi Eco would be my recommendation. Sufficiently interesting. Comfortable. Good nib. Really impressed with mine.

I really want to like a Kaweco sport, but I feel they are for hands smaller than mine.

Lamy Safari and the similar Al Star. Good quality pen and nibs, but you need to like the triangular grip. I hate the grip.

So I am sticking with my Twsbi Eco recommendation as it is a decent and reasonable pen.
The Eco is a whole lotta pen for the price.