What Oddities/Attributes do You Look for in a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Regardless of briar or meerschaum in order to become a prospective purchase a pipe must catch my eye. It must be bent to some degree or other. The wrong proportion means it won't catch my eye while on display. Then I will find if it fits my fist. I never look a pipe photographs, I have to get the pipe into my hands. Then I check the fit and finish. If the pipe passes those examinations it will go home with me for the "acid test" of a couple of bowls.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Kuddos!! I went through a period of grinding off the nomenclature of my new pipes. it makes a pipe smoke better for me, and all of those stampings are usually just ugly distractions. puffy
I had a little doctor plumb with a red dot on the stem, which made me go cross eyed, the day I sanded that dot off was the day I could safely smoke that pipe while driving!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Bowl dimensions ultimately determine if I buy a pipe, but I also want it to “look good” to me. For some reason I find ebonite stem maintenance to be irritating (as objectively easy as it is), so I usually want an acrylic stem. After that, I guess price goes into it. Much like my tobacco stash, I have enough pipes for my needs, so Im buying new ones at a much slower rate than in the past. I have my eye on a couple of higher $$ pipes than I would typically buy, and maybe another commission after having such a good experience with my first one a while back.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After years of stumbling in the dark, I finally came up with a set of criteria that I use before I buy a pipe. Almost all of my pipes are group 4-5. I also have a couple of group 6's. I buy pipes based on the tobacco I smoke. I smoke nothing but flakes or plugs or a rope. I have 2 aromatics that I smoke when mom visits. She like either one as her father smoked a pipe for most of his life.
My criteria is pretty simple.
Bowl height around 2"
Inside bowl depth 1.5"
Inside bowl width .82 is my favorite .75 works as does 7/8 on the right pipe.
I don't know the numbers but I like thick walled pipes that weigh 40-55 grams. I do have a couple of holders but I clench almost all the time.
Almost all of the pipes left in my collection after my culling are pipes I consigned. There is just something special about working with someone who sees pipes the way I do. I only have classic shapes in my collection. I like mostly straight but small bends are also fine. I don't do full bent. The shapes I own are Billiards, Dublins, Apples, Rhodesians, Lovats, Bulldogs, one Volcano and I can't think of any others. Some would call it a boring collection, but for me it really works. I will be adding some more pipes and they will fit my collection.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not much on technical specs as most pipes smoke quite well for me. With artisanal pipes I prefer carvers who have developed their own persona style, like Talbert, Tatum, Von Erck, Piersel, rather than trying to do warmed over Danish.

I like weird stuff (Talbert, Tatum) and I also like old Britwood for it's smoking properties and the older shaping styles. Barling Quaints are a perfect confluence of strange and classic, hand carved with a happy lack of geometrical perfection.

If a pipe has a particularly nice blast or interesting grain I won't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I own classic billiards of group 4-5 size. Half are smooth grain and half are sandblast. All are of similar dimensions. I enjoy the classic tapered, straight stemmed billiards. —-My criteria? They all must pass a pipe cleaner easily to the bowl while smoking. I don’t care for more depth than 1.5” and I like sweet spot width of .75 to .80. I prefer acrylic stems. I don’t often clench. The rest of course, is the pipe’s appearance. I have some beautifully grained Briar as well as some great sandblast. I also enjoy MM Cobs which I do not consider throw aways. I treat as I would any other. — I own a few bents which I consider novelty pipes, one African Meer and one 3/4 bend briar. I don’t often smoke these.

Reactions: myhyeung

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
to become a prospective purchase a pipe must catch my eye.
I buy pipes based on looks.

I prefer classical shapes - my pipes are predominantly old Britwoods.
I like silver banded pipes, because the hallmarks help with dates.
I find horn stems and ferrules attractive, as are amber stems.
I like (some) bamboo extensions, but find that the overwhelming majority are just "stuck on" with little thought to the proportion or "the line" of the stem, and have little merit.

Whimsical - perhaps. Oddities - definitely a no !

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
This is a great question. These days I look for Dunhill ODA and Group 6 Apples, or 6101. I always look for interesting Astley's, Upshalls, Willmer's, Ferndown, Etc. Lately I've also been searching for cheaper old Danish style freehands.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Although I prefer a pipe that takes a pipe cleaner through to the chamber it's not an absolute deal breaker if it's a good smoker.
A pipe that gurgles will not make it into my rotation. [My 1/4 bent Dr Grabow Riviera is a fine looking pipe but it gurgles like a creek]

The most important feature that I look for is a decent thickness to the chamber wall.

Function is way more important than form but there's no reason that one can't have both.
I've seven 80's NOS Veninis in my rotation. All good looking pipes that feel great in hand, six take a pipe cleaner through to the chamber and all are fine smokers.

Best of all they averaged out at $35 each including postage.

One example; an 80's half-bent Apple Venini;

v1f.jpg

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
All this gurgle/billabong talk reminds of cosmics comment on another thread, in regards to the origin of the word bong..

Sounded like an Australian word he reckons..

Also reminds me of an old Billabong jumper I had as a teenager, had BONG printed on the front with a small Billabong on the back.
Needless to say I wore that jumper everywhere as a 15 year old smart arse would.