What Oddities/Attributes do You Look for in a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
Apart from the obvious like material and size. What attributes that are less obvious yet you find desirable? I prefer pipes that can stand up right by itself, and prefer some irregularities in sandblasted pipes, like some randon bigger pits and so on for character. What are yours?

Reactions: Latakia Dave
It really just depends... if I am looking for a stacked bowl with a really narrow chamber and for pot shapes with wide chambers, I don't mind a more narrow draft. For a 5" to 6" long pipe with a midland .75" to .85" wide chamber, I like a more open draft. I like variety in sizes and draws.

The button is important too, but if I am looking through some factory pipes, it's not a deal breaker.

I would prefer vulcanite, especially brindled, but if the button is nicely done, I'd consider acrylic.

If it is going to be blasted, I want deep craggy blasts, not one that looks like the blast was just quickly done quickly without much thought on an assembly line.

It just has to speak to me. I don't buy many pipes online, because I'd rather hold it and pick up some of the nuances of the pipe. And, I am lucky to have one of the best pipe shops in the US just down the road.
When I have purchased a pipe online, I am usually surprised by some of the differences between seeing pictures of the pipe online and having it in hand. Not, that the pipe wasn't as pictured, but that I just don't notice or get a sense of the pipe's scale and overall-ness.

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
I notice things that annoy me, like a pipe that has been given a flat spot but still rolls rather than sits...grrrr, see I'm getting angry just thinking about.
Tell me about it. Bought a Dunhill bulldog last year for cheap, it's perfect other than the fact that the bottom flat side with stampings weren't really flat, so it wouldn't sit. It bothered me too damn much I sanded it down, effacing all stampings on it. That's one way to get rid of any resell value lol. Now it sits like a champ and smokes like heaven. Before and after:
IMG_20210927_200302.jpg
IMG_20210927_202255.jpg
I also discovered how bad I am at staining wood. Shame on you Dunhill QC.

Tell me about it. Bought a Dunhill bulldog last year for cheap, it's perfect other than the fact that the bottom flat side with stampings weren't really flat, so it wouldn't sit. It bothered me too damn much I sanded it down, effacing all stampings on it. That's one way to get rid of any resell value lol. Now it sits like a champ and smokes like heaven. Before and after:
View attachment 99757
View attachment 99756
I also discovered how bad I am at staining wood. Shame on you Dunhill QC.
Kuddos!! I went through a period of grinding off the nomenclature of my new pipes. it makes a pipe smoke better for me, and all of those stampings are usually just ugly distractions. puffy

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My only absolute requirement is that it MUST easily pass a pipe cleaner from button to bowl.

Of course it must be a "good smoker" as well, but that's a pretty nebulous requirement that I won't delve into, though suffice it to say that even among equally well-engineered pipes, in my experience, some deliver a more enjoyable smoke than others.

Other preferences are that I favor classic shapes and like medium-sized bowls. For Virginia blends, I like narrower bowls because they facilitate a slow smoldering cool smoke while staying lit.

tabac_sammy

Lurker
Aug 21, 2021
It really just depends... if I am looking for a stacked bowl with a really narrow chamber and for pot shapes with wide chambers, I don't mind a more narrow draft. For a 5" to 6" long pipe with a midland .75" to .85" wide chamber, I like a more open draft. I like variety in sizes and draws.

The button is important too, but if I am looking through some factory pipes, it's not a deal breaker.

I would prefer vulcanite, especially brindled, but if the button is nicely done, I'd consider acrylic.

If it is going to be blasted, I want deep craggy blasts, not one that looks like the blast was just quickly done quickly without much thought on an assembly line.

It just has to speak to me. I don't buy many pipes online, because I'd rather hold it and pick up some of the nuances of the pipe. And, I am lucky to have one of the best pipe shops in the US just down the road.
When I have purchased a pipe online, I am usually surprised by some of the differences between seeing pictures of the pipe online and having it in hand. Not, that the pipe wasn't as pictured, but that I just don't notice or get a sense of the pipe's scale and overall-ness.
seems like the sound of wisdome from here

Reactions: Briar Lee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Beyond the usual requirements of good smoking, durability, and appealing appearance, pluses include an uncoated chamber, a little brighter color on the briar and/or stem, a fishtail bit, a sitter, light weight relative to size, good insulation of the bowl, deceptively large bowl capacity for size and weight, balance, flow in design, "just right" bands and adornments or none; plateau; attractive sandblast whether deep or subtle; quality well beyond price point; and personality (a kind of appealing combination of traits that attracts me). I'll be thinking of other attributes for a week, but those are some.

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
Beyond the usual requirements of good smoking, durability, and appealing appearance, pluses include an uncoated chamber, a little brighter color on the briar and/or stem, a fishtail bit, a sitter, light weight relative to size, good insulation of the bowl, deceptively large bowl capacity for size and weight, balance, flow in design, "just right" bands and adornments or none; plateau; attractive sandblast whether deep or subtle; quality well beyond price point; and personality (a kind of appealing combination of traits that attracts me). I'll be thinking of other attributes for a week, but those are some.
I agree with uncoated chamber. I forgot to mention in my original post.

Reactions: Briar Lee
Mar 1, 2014
After re-bending a bunch of stems recently I've discovered I much prefer the button to be pointed up by about 40 degrees (not quite 45 degress).
Pipes with a shank angled less than 40 degrees should still practically have a straight stem, though I do prefer the aesthetics of just a slight bend.