PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I'm impressed you own this album. It's not her greatest work, but the only time, I think, she recorded Beethoven.
As you know, these late 1920s "recordings" are of Wanda playing on a Duo-Art reproducing piano, that makes a piano roll. The piano roll is then able to be played back on a "player piano." In this way, when played back on a top-quality Duo-Art piano (yes, they still exist) and recorded by a professional studio, on state-of-the-art equipment, you have Wanda Landowska in modern sound. Very cool.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'm impressed you own this album. It's not her greatest work, but the only time, I think, she recorded Beethoven.
As you know, these late 1920s "recordings" are of Wanda playing on a Duo-Art reproducing piano, that makes a piano roll. The piano roll is then able to be played back on a "player piano." In this way, when played back on a top-quality Duo-Art piano (yes, they still exist) and recorded by a professional studio, on state-of-the-art equipment, you have Wanda Landowska in modern sound. Very cool.
Very cool indeed (you know your classical well). It's a beautiful album. Her playing translates to the piano in an interesting way, as one would expect. I enjoyed earlier harpsichord works of her's that I'd heard before, but this album really encouraged me to dig into more of her catalogue. Her technique through modern sound is just beautiful to me.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Last edited: