PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Finally had a chance to get into the Time Out of Mind bootleg set. Quite elaborate packaging...haven't had time yet to read the book. Just started by listening to the original album, which I hadn't listened to in quite a while.

The Dylan albums I consider to be his best can't really be compared to one another because they are all from different phases of his life, and all create their own unique experience...but I can't say I like any of them more than TOOM. Listening to it again now has been a clear reminder of all the reasons I like it so much.

Every song on it is worth commenting on, but I'll just say Highlands will always be the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this album...and I consider it one of his very best songs of his entire career. And to me at least, cannot be compared to anything else he ever wrote.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m sort of stuck tonight on Shackles and Chains.

If everyone’s Grandma would go over how sad it would be to go to prison, and teach them Shackles and Chains, there’d be less evil in this old sin cussed world today.

Such lines—-

“A piece of stone I will use, for my pillow

While I’m sleeping in shackles and chains”

Wilma Lee Cooper

Merle Haggard

Jimmy Martin

And there’s so many more.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
The radio show ‘The Dylan Hours’ she just played one of Bob’s masterpieces ‘Key West (philosopher pirate)’ for what ever strange reason that recording brings me to tears if I let it. Sometimes I don’t have a choice in the matter. It’s a beautiful work of art by a master.
Totally agree. For those that have not heard it here is a live version