SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Currently listening to Miles Davis ~ On the Corner.
This one was hard for me to get into at first. I had his Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew, which were easy to wrap my head around, but Corner is so dissonant and chaotic. But, when it finally snapped with me, it became my favorite. I play it at least once a week now.

When I was talking to some friends about Hurdy Gurdy Man, I had a few friends who insisted that Donovans’s Barabajagal album was way better. So, I hunted down the vinyl and gave it a spin.
The signature song with the Jeff Beck group is very good. It does rock. But, I could care less about songs. I’m more into the album experience.
It starts out with that rockin’ Barabajagal and then swings into Supergirl, but then slowly falls apart with his mix of melancholy and sillyness. About halfway through “I love my Shirt” I was ready to make a frisbee out of it.

I can handle folk, and I especially love some of Donovan’s takes on folk. But, the melancholy… and then the silliness?

One good song does not make an album. Just ask Motley Cru.
9B66504E-D4B1-4447-97CC-E7C1F7AAE8BB.jpeg

Reactions: Briar Tuck

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
When I was talking to some friends about Hurdy Gurdy Man, I had a few friends who insisted that Donovans’s Barabajagal album was way better. So, I hunted down the vinyl and gave it a spin.
The signature song with the Jeff Beck group is very good. It does rock. But, I could care less about songs. I’m more into the album experience.
It starts out with that rockin’ Barabajagal and then swings into Supergirl, but then slowly falls apart with his mix of melancholy and sillyness. About halfway through “I love my Shirt” I was ready to make a frisbee out of it.

I can handle folk, and I especially love some of Donovan’s takes on folk. But, the melancholy… and then the silliness?

One good song does not make an album. Just ask Motley Cru.
View attachment 205318
Could not be in more of an agreement. The best albums are solid through and through. A sentiment that has faded with how music is played and consumed in modern times! Only use it as a frisbee if it is overcast. Would hate to warp the vinyl.