PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Real old codgers have essential tremor, have never drank soy milk, own only a flip cell phone, do not drive electric or hybrid cars, wear t-shirts under their collar shirts, always use the bank teller never the ATM, wear hats even if they have most of their hair, read paper newspapers if they read them at all, wear socks, wear glasses not contacts, learned handwriting in school, and can probably remember being aware of either Eisenhower or Truman as President of the United States. Half of these criteria or more identify a thoroughbred codger -- old is a redundancy.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Real old codgers have essential tremor, have never drank soy milk, own only a flip cell phone, do not drive electric or hybrid cars, wear t-shirts under their collar shirts, always use the bank teller never the ATM, wear hats even if they have most of their hair, read paper newspapers if they read them at all, wear socks, wear glasses not contacts, learned handwriting in school, and can probably remember being aware of either Eisenhower or Truman as President of the United States. Half of these criteria or more identify a thoroughbred codger -- old is a redundancy.
Well I dont even own a cell phone and dont want one, and dont forget about the buckeye that you carry in your pocket. and the hankerchief but i do not wear a belt just the suspenders or bibs, wont even ride in a hybrid or electric car. and how do you milk a soybean?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
And he pays all his bills by check. Uses plastic once or twice or month if at all. Has written hand-written notes or letters sent by mail in the last six months.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Makes all his incidental purchases like groceries, prescriptions, hardware, etc., in cash, as in greenbacks, as in paper bills and coins of the realm.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My feed store only takes cash. Give you an example of Ole Codger. Going to the back 40 I come across an oil field truck, I pull up roll down window and ask YOU LOST! Young man looking at map, pissed says NO I AINT LOST. I say looks like you lost or you wouldn’t be looking at a map. He says I’m on the Trahan Tract looking for the pipeline, I tell him you ain’t on the Trahan Tract, you on the Simon Tract. He says not according to my map, I say Simons have been living on this land for 100 yrs, you been on it for 15 minutes, you looking at a map, you lost I ain’t, he gives me a very pissed off look. I give him the Pice de Resitance You probably looking at the wrong map. With that I put the Tundra in gear and go to the barn. I am giggling all the way. rotf

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Funny that a long time ago, a codger was thought to have had a mildly pleasant air about him. Yes, set in his ways, but harmless. Of senior age, or looking like it.

Many of the attributes above speak to ossified old farts who may or may not be "codgers". I hope I don't become a codger with those attributes. Although if I do, I won't care!

Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The last time someone called me an old man I caught an assault charge. Does that make me a codger? I'm only 42

I actually got called old for the first time in my life recently. I told a girl at a music festival (who showed up half naked dancing around our campfire and blasting music out of a boom box) that I was 33 years old and she was shocked and called me an old man. When I told her that it was true, and in fact, my (at the time) 3 month old daughter was asleep in the tent right next to us with my wife (it was 3am). She asked if she could hold my daughter.

I said: "Yeah, sure, let me go wake up the sleeping baby and my wife, that is, if they are not already awake from the music, so that a drunk girl I met five seconds ago can dance around the fire in the dark swinging her about like a stuffed animal!"

She said: "So, that's a no then? Well, do you want some acid?"

I said: "No thanks, I'm 33 remember? I'm all bombed out on Czech Pilsner and tobacco-free nicotine pouches."

And then she faded back into the constant ebb of festival humanity, never to be seen again.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I've always interpreted 'codger' meaning an older man, fixed in his ways, pleased with what he has or what he can do.

Ex:
Person 1: Have you tried the new Stimpson Island Special Reserve? It is a nice new English blend.

Person 2: No, I stick with Prince Albert in my one briar.

Person 1: Oh, you're such an old codger!

Hmmm. What the hell? I do not recall Person 1 talking with me. I must be getting forgetful in my old age. ?

• Haha
Reactions: whsergent and BROBS