PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
An occupation that I indulge in my free time for leisure, pleasure and satisfaction. It's serious business, what pipe to pick and what tobacco to smoke at that precise moment makes my hobby worthwhile. Give me a corncob with Captain Black forever and I would trash pipe smoking from my hobby list without any regrets.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, ok, makes sense now. For me, it's not an occupation, nor is it relegated to free time.
Also, I realized I thought a hobby had to have organization (classic ones: stamps and coins) and a sense of completing a series. Or making something, as in woodworking or pottery, or collecting model planes or cars. But it probably doesn't.
It's just it doesn't fit my definition of "hobby".

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love everything about this post. It gets at the heart of who we are and why we care.

Mar 29, 2016
This hobby is also something I do among other things. Oddly enough the sense of completing a series somehow exists as I really want to cut on the number of pipes I have and become more of a pipe smoker than a pipe collector. I also want to find my two or three pipe tobaccos I could relate to and depend on. The journey is more important than the destination as they say. I'm lucky enough to live in a time where pipe tobacco and quality pipes are available without having to pay high prices for it. That said, pipe clubs are good places to meet interesting people and some have called pipe smoking a hobby as well and a way of life.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I like where this going :)
You know you're a serious pipe smoker when....
Your wife says "can you reach the top shelf and get me a bowl" and you say "just use the Peterson I left on the table"

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
...you ream the Thanksgiving bird before packing it...
jay-roger.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You know you're a serious pipe smoker when....
...when you're still reading this thread.
Actually, after much pondering and soul searching, I've come to the conclusion that I'm a semi-serious pipe smoker (only half kidding).
...you ream the Thanksgiving bird before packing it...
:rofl:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If I'm not certified as a serious pipe smoker, does that mean I'll have to quit smoking my 6 to 8 bowls per day? When I'm interviewed about it, I must make certain to maintain a very serious look when answering questions.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Many of us are certifiable! At least I am.... Hopefully limited to a few realms, such as pipe smoking and good murder mysteries on Netflix and BBC.

piper64

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 21, 2018
Northern Ireland
So could a serious pipe smoker who smokes x amount of bowls everyday be classed as addicted . People used to say I was a serious drinker,18 years into recovery it seems they were right.

Mar 29, 2016
You got a point, if by serious it means the amount of bowls a day, aka addiction, then I'll be a amateur/hobbyist all my life. I always prefer quality over quantity and pipe smoking is no exception. I' am a "serious pipe smoker" because I don't allow pipe tobacco to control my habits and my life. The moment I feel it's taking over, I stop for a few days to a week. Also the fact that I'm an outdoor smoker helps, especially in late fall and winter when I barely smoke at all.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Not in the zone for smoking pipes on hot days , when I'm overly busy or can't get a little quality 'me' time
I like a cool evening puff , all quiet on the western front

Status
Not open for further replies.