PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
A serious pipe smoker is one who has at least 10,000 posts on a pipe forum and 100 reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. Everyone else is just pretending to be pipe smokers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All hail Jim Amash!
20180826_142310.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Define "serious" and you'll have your answer.
bassplug: I reiterate! A serious smoker, to you, is whomever you designate as a "serious smoker" using whatever criteria you choose. Or, you can use another's definition and let them define such if you like. But, there is no official in the pipe smoking realm, well excepting you know who (A Canadian with imPECKable taste), qualified to make an oh-FISH-al definition of "serious smoker." And, he could easily make it all appear legal. Internationally also!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's no telling what signifies a serious pipe smoker. I think there are signifiers, and any two will cause eligibility for consideration. A partial list:

*Owns more than twenty pipes

*Has on hand twenty or more blends

*Knows the shape names of all the pipes on the rack

*Knows the names of five or more pipe and tobacco retailers

*Has distinct preferences for brands, materials, or artisan pipes

*Has attended a pipe club or pipe show
And a bunch of others, but any two will do, since people are so individual.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Well, if you have to meet two of those criteria I guess that would eliminate all "codger pipe smokers" … I think you'd have a hard time finding one of them who even meets one of those.
EDIT: as for me, I am a pipe smoker, but I'm only serious sometimes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I disagree brian64. A good ole codger knows five or more pipe and tobacco retailers (various grocery stores, drug stores, and smoke shops with pipe tobacco) and has distinct preference for brands (Dr. Grabow, Missouri Meerschaum, Kaywoodie). No, codgers definitely fit my system, and mine is only a partial list. Another list item could be, is seldom seen not smoking his pipe, which would include many codgers. Also, he likely knows the shape names of all of his pipes (if more than one).

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^Ok, makes sense to me now MSO.
But I guess I'll take myself out of consideration because I'm just not consistently serious enough.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Okay I get all of it but non-smoker. Huh?
I think he means those who object to the term "smoker" because it automatically means cigarette smoker to most people.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ I agree...I'm definitely a smoker, defined as someone who smokes tobacco...but I'm also aware that it requires clarification for most people/purposes.
Here's an interesting tidbit: in the ICD10 index for medical diagnoses, the term "smoker" is coded as a diagnosis of "nicotine dependency". So if your medical record designates you as a "smoker" then you are officially nicotine dependent.
But there is also a separate code for non-dependent tobacco use...but that excludes the term "smoker". Go figure.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, anyone who uses tobacco three or fewer times per week is not classified a tobacco user.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I keep all my pipe tobacco tins deep in the back of my tool box drawers , every once and awhile I slide them out and laugh at them .

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Like justice Potter Stewart famously said "I know it when I see it". This guy with a hole in his teeth where his pipe went, well he was definitely a serious pipe smoker.
patux_jp_1000.jpg

Smithsonian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No one who say pipe smoking is a "hobby".
I like this, from above:
.....I would say getting tremendous enjoyment out of the pipes and tobacco that I have and hope to have, while not apologizing for it. Also learning. Learning about how to improve the experience.

Mar 29, 2016
" No one who say pipe smoking is a "hobby". "
The level of seriousness has increased tenfold. This is getting serious, serious I tell you and yeah, pipe smoking is a serious hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.