PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
For me, when I pull it out, does it strike jealousy and awe in the hearts of my fellow pipe smokers who are looking at it? Does it leave them looking at their pipes as nothing but a collection of worthless of meaning sticks of broken wood? Is it so gloriously designed, so spectacularly grained that all other pipes seem feeble in comparison?

Nah. I don't have any of those. All my pipes smoke great. My few favorites are 1. A Safferling that was a gift from my kid 2. My first Upshall which is like an old companion 3. my Astley Billiard which just fits in my had perfectly. None.if them would win a beauty contest but they are all perfect to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree with jhowell, in that my favorite pipe is circumstantial. If I'm smoking a pipe and thoroughly enjoying it, that pipe and blend soar to favorite status while that bowl is lit. If I had to pick out ten or twenty pipes only and trade in the rest, I'd give it my best shot, but I'd miss the particular features of the others on into memory. Many pipes that are less in price, design, gift status, or special features have an aura. Some of my old U.S. factory pipes have the piquant nostalgia of a '57 Chevy pickup. They might bring five bucks on eBay, but they sure can cook a bowl of burley. Does my heart throb for my treasures, the ones I couldn't get at that price again? You bet.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My favorite pipe is the one that’s being smoked. Unless it is a turd, I don’t discriminate too much. And I get rid of any that don’t smoke well. I have a couple of briars, and a few cobs. I used to have a morta pipe, but it cracked irreparably. Basically I have only as many as it takes to dedicate one to each type of blend I smoke that leaves ghosts. I’m much more of a “tobacco guy” than a “pipe guy.”

Reactions: bnichols23

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I usually have a favorite pipe only after a purchase then after a week or so, it simply becomes part of the family. It’s easier for me to know which pipe has to go rather than which is my favorite. I have given away or sold everything from Tsuges to Eltang’s simply because I lost interest or my taste had changed. This happens to me with tobacco as well.

Good thing I’m not like this with wives, cause that can get seriously expensive. ???

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it is a bit like love, sometimes, there's simply no explanation. For me, it's a combination of aesthetic appeal, balance and feel and clearly, how nicely it smokes. Sometimes though, there are purely emotional factors. Maybe the pipe was a gift. Perhaps it was the first pipe from a much sought after Artisan. Perhaps you bought it to celebrate the birth of your firstborn or first grandchild. I think the emotional part can often override the more logical reasons.

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
So far I’m finding the weight/balance of clenching the pipe and comfort of pipe shape in the hand determining if it’s a favorite overall.
But...
I think a favorite pipe could be something used all the time and never have anxiety over it being special. I have a Missouri meerschaum cob I could be happy with if you took my others and makes me smile just smoking it.
Or...
Another favorite could be a custom artisan pipe. I just purchased my first one (Askwith Morta) and will be working on a set of 7 over the rest of my life!
YMMV

Reactions: bnichols23

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I am finished smoking my favorite pipe,she says to me in a sultry voice was it as good for you as it was for me?

I honestly don't have a single favorite. I do have my first Rad Davis pipe that is an incredible pipe as it smokes as good as many of my other pipes and it began my journey of buying quite a few more. The first is always special.

Reactions: radrick96
Status
Not open for further replies.