PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

briarorbust

Lurker
May 5, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I was sat smoking my favourite pipe the other day and I found myself wondering what is it about this pipe tha makes it my favourite? The pipe in question is a Vauen empire. It tends to gurgle around the halfway mark, it doesn't give as strong a flavour to some of my other pipes and it's certainly not my best smoker but I love it, keep coming back to it and brings me joy with every smoke. I love the size, the shape, the feel in the hand, you guys helped me pick it and even though I've only had it just over a year it has some happy and important memories linked to it.
So that got me thinking what is it about your pipe that makes it YOUR favourite? Is it your best smoker? Is it the shape? Is it the feel? Is it the look? Did someone special or important give it to you? Is it that Je ne sais pas?
Do you guys with big collections even have a favourite single pipe or just a preferred rotation.
It was just a thought I was having and would be really interested to know what you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Must be bent to one degree or another, fit my eye, fit my fist, pass inspection and be a grand smoker. In sixty years of smoking I've managed to go through many, many pipes in order to come up with 28 acceptable. I'd guess I've tossed a twice number over the years as I do not pass on pipes. I haven't found a pipe in five years or so that attracted my eye so, no new pipes.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I guess number 1 is how it smokes. I have preferred shapes, sizes and weights, such as lighter weight pipes. But those preferences are easily thrown out the window if it's a great smoker.

Sonorisis

Dec 24, 2019
Weight, length, stem material, quality of stem finish -- especially the button, draw, and number of different ways I can hang onto it -- including clinching. The specifics of these attributes will appeal variously to different pipe smokers. But, in order for me to even get interested in the first place, the pipe has to be 5.5 -- 6.0" long, weigh under 1.5 oz., have a chamber height of at least 1.5" and diameter of at least .80". It it meets those criteria, it may be a candidate for favorite pipe.

Reactions: bnichols23

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
I am not sure that it's about specific shape, weight or size, but rather having a consistently good smoke experience with a certain pipe. My Barling meer never failed me.

Pipe Daddy

Might Stick Around
Oct 16, 2019
I don't clench, so heavy pipes are OK with me. The pipe needs to drawn well and be easy to retro hale through to keep it dry. Big enough so that it doesn't look like a toy in my hands. Not too short. I can trim my nose hair without it becoming part of my smoking experience. If a pipe cleaner will shove right through it, that's a bonus, but some of my favorites can't do that.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It is different for everybody, but there is this 'quality' that a favorite pipe has that is more than its shape, weight, or finish. Somehow it is a combination of those things and more. It is like asking what your favorite food is, a combination or ingredients, how it was prepared, and memories associated with it.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Isn't a favorite pipe like a favorite girl or good wife? Of course the basics must be there, with satisfactory looks, performance and reliability. But apart from that it's mostly a question of what feels right for you and matches your needs.

My favorite pipe is my Peterson 317 because (like my wife) it just feels right and when we got acquainted (me and the pipe that is) it was the first time that everything clicked and fell into place as it should.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
When you find the right one you just know it. Then you just try to treat it right and hope it sticks around (pipes, girlfriends or wives) although its my understanding im only allowed to have multiple favorite pipes and NO GIRLFRIENDS OR EXTRA WIVES ALLOWED.

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
Length: 130 < 140mm
Bowl height: 45mm
Bowl diameter: 20mm
Weight: < 30 grams
Stem: Hand cut vulacanite
Finish: Smooth

A group 2/3 Dunhill Apple/billiard

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
What makes a favourite pipe? I guess it all comes down to one’s preferences.

Some prefer the longer shank of a Lovat, others enjoy being able to hold the whole chubby in their grasp, heck some prefer to sit in the study with a church warden.

Obviously the stain colour of the wood is a factor, and for those with unattractive grain maybe wrapping in leather or a applying a plastic coat is a safer option. I’m currently not much of a fan of sandblasted look, but I think my collection would feature a couple of these in the future

I have a mate who swears using the breath technique while clenching is his favourite way, I haven’t asked about his button however. I’m not sure whether his favourite pipe yields a more common modern one or the exposed draft hole of the older fashioned orific bit. And I do wonder to the extent some regular teething chatter factors in.

I have also read on these forums about gents who prefer to go about the job of finishing a bowl with only occasional sipping and focus rather on using their hand to hold the pipe. And some even prefer their pipes unsmoked completely

I do think the performance standard of a perfectly drilled pipe is a bit of a myth, while maybe more aesthetically pleasing, drilling which veers to the left or right is maybe more common than we care to admit. I concede it could make a difference to moisture depending on whether your favourite pipe is bent or straight.

Of course the pipe cleaner test is another factor. I think we can all agree that having pipes cleaned regularly is preferable, but I for one don’t intend to insert a cleaner - tapered, bristly or otherwise - unless absolutely necessary. I do wonder the long term implications of @chasingembers routine of buffing after every smoke, but I trust he knows what he is doing.

as I say, it all comes down to ones preference. I’m sorry I can’t contribute anything of substance to this thread. Maybe ask @hoosierpipeguy? I get the feeling he could add some tips...

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
What makes a favourite pipe? I guess it all comes down to one’s preferences.

Some prefer the longer shank of a Lovat, others enjoy being able to hold the whole chubby in their grasp, heck some prefer to sit in the study with a church warden.

Obviously the stain colour of the wood is a factor, and for those with unattractive grain maybe wrapping in leather or a applying a plastic coat is a safer option. I’m currently not much of a fan of sandblasted look, but I think my collection would feature a couple of these in the future

I have a mate who swears using the breath technique while clenching is his favourite way, I haven’t asked about his button however. I’m not sure whether his favourite pipe yields a more common modern one or the exposed draft hole of the older fashioned orific bit. And I do wonder to the extent some regular teething chatter factors in.

I have also read on these forums about gents who prefer to go about the job of finishing a bowl with only occasional sipping and focus rather on using their hand to hold the pipe. And some even prefer their pipes unsmoked completely

I do think the performance standard of a perfectly drilled pipe is a bit of a myth, while maybe more aesthetically pleasing, drilling which veers to the left or right is maybe more common than we care to admit. I concede it could make a difference to moisture depending on whether your favourite pipe is bent or straight.

Of course the pipe cleaner test is another factor. I think we can all agree that having pipes cleaned regularly is preferable, but I for one don’t intend to insert a cleaner - tapered, bristly or otherwise - unless absolutely necessary. I do wonder the long term implications of @chasingembers routine of buffing after every smoke, but I trust he knows what he is doing.

as I say, it all comes down to ones preference. I’m sorry I can’t contribute anything of substance to this thread. Maybe ask @hoosierpipeguy? I get the feeling he could add some tips...
You just need to slow down and think about it about more Dave, then you would have some real substance to add, as opposed to the current stance.

My favourite pipe changes every year, but I have a handful of 'favourites'.

My favourite pipe

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
You just need to slow down and think about it about more Dave, then you would have some real substance to add, as opposed to the current stance.

My favourite pipe changes every year, but I have a handful of 'favourites'.

My favourite pipe
Settle down man, settle down. What’s your button style anyways? Does it have the Maker’s mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.