PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
"Oh, and for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure, a colonoscopy requires two days of fasting (clear liquids only) and the consumption of 4 litres of a truly vile laxative concoction to clear you out so the doc can slide a camera up your butt to have good a look see."

For those of you getting ready for the upcoming event, just ask your doctor for pills that just came out instead of the 4 litre thing. You still have to have the IV and the procedure, but it's a little easier with the pills.
With the first one I had 7 pre-cancerous pollops. The second one I had 2, the third one came out clean. While unpleasant GET ER' DONE !!!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
It was a great thread starter, rockymtnsmoker. Colon Cancer is the 3rd leading Cancer killer only because most times it is detected when it is too late and has spread from the Colon to other parts of the body. It is also one of the most preventable Cancers and if caught early, one of the easiest to cure. So, that is why I go public about my experience whenever the opportunity presents itself. I don't want anyone going through what I had to go through. I was a dummy. I was told to get one when I turned 50 by my family doctor. I felt great and didn't particularly want to voluntarily pay to have a metal rod stuck up my keester. I wound up paying a lot more than what a Colonoscopy would have cost!
Pipestud

Aug 14, 2012
When I had mine the Dr. had a pretty redhead there to hold my hand. It was very romantic until he turned the vacuum cleaner on.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I was attempting to add a little levity to our conversation here, but I've had four colonoscopies. Two times to remove pre-cancerous polyps. Second two to just do the checkup thing and do some cleanup work.
First time, I woke up and the nurse says: "You are pretty lucky. We see some who come in here and we just tell them to go home. There's nothing we can do."
Second time around for polyps, the Doc says, you are lucky. We caught those polyps in time. Instead of five, this time you had two. See you in three years.
Back in three years, I was down to one. This past year, none.
Go get 'er done, guys.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Pipestud and you other guys
Any time I feel like complaining about my illnesses I will try to remember how good I have it compared to others
I'm going to say that the 'worst' part is the drinking stuff the day before ; the actual procedure is nothing--you are out cold
If anyone is hesitating to have it done- just DO IT!
As you have read, it can save your life

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
What Made a Colonoscopy Suck Less?
I thought you were going to tell us that they let you smoke your pipe while they did the procedure. :puffpipe:
Seriously though, I just turned the big "50" recently and have never had the "pleasure".

You guys got me thinking that it might be time. :crying:

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Think the consensus is just get er done, Slow. Pipestud's story suggests what could happen if you put it off. Two days of blowin mud against the potential for a whole bunch worse :)

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
For some humor (though colon cancer is far from humorous), read/Google Dave Barry (humor man for the Miami Herald) and his take on colonoscopy. Absolutley a scream!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I had my first colonoscopy a month ago (age 61). I shouldn't have put it off for 11 yrs but came through with flying colors. I agree the day before is the worst part: no eating, pills, thunder juice and not straying far from the home privy. I concur; it blows more than sucks.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Both my grandparents died of colon cancer so they ream me every 3 years. If you're over 50 and don't have it done then you're foolish. It's fast, simple and will save your life. I always ask for the twilight sedation. Knocks me out and I wake up and out the door. Now they have the pills and you don't have to drink that nasty sh%t, so what used to be the worst part is gone.
Craig

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just think of having a catheter stuck in instead maybe, I had to hold an old man down while it was being done and see every detail, I still get shivers up my spine thinking about it 3 days later.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Well, I went to the doc because I was having digestive problems. That led to a CAT scan which detected a single lump in the colon. Then a colonoscopy and they said it was malignant but did not seem to have spread. Now awaiting pathology results to see if lymph nodes in the area may have been affected - all this after the surgery and a hellish 5 days in the hospital after, being stuck every 10 minutes with a needle to test blood sugar or vitals or get iron transfusions.
Has been a slow recovery so far and still have not heard anything about the pathology results. (And not sure that I want to, just 5 days before Christmas. Seem to be feeling a little better each day since I've been home, but they say it will probably be 2-3 months before I will really notice the difference. The potential chemotherapy would be an outpatient 6-week treatment. I am leery of chemo because I've read the Hutchinson study from Seattle that seems to conclude that chemo and radiation appears to cause the cancer to return more aggressively later on.
I guess they just don't know enough to be certain about this disease. Some never have it return and some do.
I'd made extensive plans to try to provide a nice Christmas for my 92 year old mom, since one never knows when it could be her last. They've now been all blown up. Tree up with no lights and no decorations. Must rely on friends to bring certain items to house (we got snowed in while I was in hospital) and no cookies baked for the holiday, as well as being put on a low fiber restrictive diet for bot the past Thanksgiving and now maybe Christmas. Ouch! No fruit, no raw vegetables, a lot of no, no, no. LOL Pudding is okay, except that it doesn't work for me, because I am a type 2 diabetic.
Do I need to bring out more reasons why you should get the colonoscopy early on?
BTW, the docs around here don't like to use the pills. Apparently there have been widespread complications or negative side effects with them, so twice I've been through the MoviPrep liquid route - eeeeyyyyyukkkkk, what a mess! trust me - MoviPrep is not a large box of buttered popcorn...
Merry Christmas, everyone. Enjoy every day you can, because you never know what lies ahead.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Peck, that's funny. Boudreaux, that is not. Goddamn, look after yourself. I'm a send a boatload of good wishes your way and a prayer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Boudreaux, my Christmas wish is for you to have a complete recovery with as little discomfort as possible.
Peck, thanks for the laughs.
When I had my colonoscopy a little over three years ago the good news was that everything looked good. The better news was that I wouldn't have to repeat this for ten years. The weird news was that the Doc said that I had the most "beautiful" colon he had ever examined. He definitely needs a life.
Rocky, congratulations on the nice goodies. All I ever got was a bill.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Also gentlemen, don't forget to have sympathy for your Proctologist.
They start at the bottom ... and stay there! :)
Boudreaux, I'm truly sorry your holiday has been entwined with these dealings. Best wishes to you and yours.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Like Craig colon cancer runs in the paternal side of my family. I had my first colonoscopy at 39 and I was squeaky clean. The doc said "see ya in 10 yrs" and I said, "No, I'll see ya in 5." I need to go again in 2014. This is such a simple procedure that can save your life.
I think I need to reward myself as rocky did :)

Status
Not open for further replies.