PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I’d be interested if anyone is really familiar with Syrian Latakia to do a comparison with the stock from totalleafsupply. I spoke to the owner and he informed me it is old Syrian stock, that was originally imported via Cyprus. I’m not holding my breath on it actually being Syrian leaf, and at the price point I don’t mind either way. It’s incredibly oily and aromatic. I’m just curious as I have never tried a blend with Syrian Latakia in it so have no point of reference.

I've bought it and it tastes like standard Cyprian latakia. It's perfectly good latakia, don't get me wrong, but it bears no relationship to the vintage Syrian everyone loves.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Cheers for that. I thought as much. How does it compare to the WLT version?

Haven't had WLT's latakia. I'm sure it's fine though.
The Syrian vs Cyprian question had me going for a while too and I was excited when I saw that Total Leaf was selling Syrian lat. As it turns out, there are still farms in Syria that grow oriental tobacco that can be made into latakia; however, it is no longer processed in the traditional Syrian fashion because of environmental regulations. Instead it's processed in Cyprus and tastes just like regular old Cyprian latakia. So, I don't think Total Leaf is completely lying when they say it's "syrian" leaf, it just doesn't mean that much because it's still processed in Cyprus.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Yeah, I mean it's fine leaf. Tastes great, but it doesn't have that wine-like flavor that Syrian was famous for. Buy a tin of McClellands Three Oaks Syrian or Mac Baren's HH Vintage Syrian and you'll see what Syrian used to be like. There is no way to replicate that flavor with Cyprian.