PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I'm just dabbling with blending in hopes of learning something in case my "grow your own" project works out in 2021.

I made a blend of store bought blends yesterday and used Billy Budd for the Lat.

Is there a straight Lat that is best for home blends?

I'm thinking the best I will be able to do with the home grown will be more of a Kentucky fired deal.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
He means for processing whole leaf. I personally find marking ropes or pressing plugs and then slicing the easier way to go than shredding
I agree. Shredding is time consuming and messy. Plus I think ropes, twists, and plugs are just cool.

@Cotton1 if you're only going to use latakia from WLT you don't really need a shredder. It will crumble quite easily.

Reactions: Cotton1

RSteven

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
I've created blends using Peter Stokkebye Blending Latakia, Gawith & Hoggarth Blending Latakia and Cornell & Diehl Latakia. I made the mistake of thinking that they all probably sourced the latakia from the same processor. On a ten point scale, rating both the smokiness and intensity of the tobacco, the Stokkebye rates a 4, Gawith a 6 and the C & D a solid 10. I usually blend with the Stokkebye, both out of habit and because it's pretty inexpensive. When it hasn't been available I've used the others, but made a critical error using the C & D, as it absolutely dominated the blend. I had no idea that it would differ so greatly from the P.S. You can find the Stokkebye Blending Latakia for $30.00/lb. which is quite a bit less than the others.

Reactions: Cotton1 and Ahi Ka

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I have one of the Whole Leaf hand crank shredders. It works well enough for flat leaf like VA. It's difficult to use for latikia or perique because these leaves come curled up and tangled. You'll have to uncurl them by hand and flatten them out prior to sending them through the shredder. It can be done but it's a slow process. Probably easier to do the rolling and chopping method that Ahi Ka describes. Some of it depends on how consistent you want all your ribbon to be. You have to use care to ensure everything you're blending has basically the same kind of cut or the different leaf will likely separate with smaller pieces going to the bottom of your jar--which is not ideal.

Reactions: Cotton1

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yeah @logs is correct about leaf distribution in a jar. There is also the Brazil nut effect (I think that’s what’s it’s called) where even when a blend is cut evenly, Latakia will settle at the bottom. I’ve found the easiest way to avoid this is to keep blends in loose crumble style cakes and just rip off a chunk for a bowls worth or two

Reactions: logs

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’d be interested if anyone is really familiar with Syrian Latakia to do a comparison with the stock from totalleafsupply. I spoke to the owner and he informed me it is old Syrian stock, that was originally imported via Cyprus. I’m not holding my breath on it actually being Syrian leaf, and at the price point I don’t mind either way. It’s incredibly oily and aromatic. I’m just curious as I have never tried a blend with Syrian Latakia in it so have no point of reference.