PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I live in a rural part of a rural state and my wife insists there is some "hillbilly" dialect spoken here, in which I have become fluent, do to on the job exposure. My wife is from the Los Angeles area, and speaks Spanish fluently, but was all but unable to understand most locals here for the first few years we lived here. The closest thing I can approximate it to would be Boomhauer on King of the Hill.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
English, somewhat.
Mandarin, sounds like.
Some Chinese dialect like Fujian, Chaozhou and Cantonese.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
English, little French, and getting quite fluent in 'horse' which is by far the most rewarding.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Mostly Southern English but a bit of German/French. I can mimic a Bronx dialect if backed in a corner.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Hey guys! I know a good tool to supplement language learning that is free! I'm having a lot of fun with memrise.com. Also, I have heard people have a lot of fun with www.duolingo.com. On memrise, I am learning some Japanese and Chinese.

plank46

Lurker
May 31, 2013
I speak English, Afrikaans (being a South African Dutch) a small bit of German and a little Zulu

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"This is a darn'd clever bunch"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TYxlbFSTD3w&t=122
(Ezra Pound reading his poem "Moeurs Contemporaines")

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm only fluent in English. I know a few phrases in German. I can introduce myself, order a beer, and tell a woman she's beautiful. Guess that's all one needs to know how to say right?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Love the Briar, are you Persian? Probably not many Farsi speakers in the pipe world, I would imagine.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
No I am born and raised Mississippi, full 100% true blooded Irish American, I work for the government. So it would be who off me to have learned the language with all the travel that I have done threw overseas deployments.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
In my job the ones that can learn to read write and speak another foreign language get an extra 400 a month on there paycheck, I'm currently working on my linguistic degree. But I type terrible and misspell everything

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I can't speak it fluently, but I can read Latin pretty well and speak a few phrases here and there. I had gotten some really old books from my grandparents and they were in Latin, so I learned how to read most of it.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.