What Kinds of Tobaccos Typically Come In Flake Form?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Traditionally virginias were straight virginia tobaccos, though that has been changing. The addition of perique is a noteworthy complement, adding a distinctive aroma and flavor, while also serving to intensify the richness and intensity of the flavor. Perique also serves to cut bite. Escudo and Three Nuns pioneered the addition of perique into popularity.

The addition of burley to virginias is relatively recent and has become common in the old rope, twist and bar tobaccos, supplanting the heavier-grade, bottom-of-the plant virginias to provide the requisite nicotine kick. It also is used in the lighter Northern European tobacco blends. Also recent is the pressing of traditional English mixtures into form, pioneered by Bengal Slices, and continued by McClelland and Esoterica. So today a tobacco can contain almost any kind of tobacco.

Also worth mentioning is the persnicketiness of Virginias regarding the pipes it is smoked in. Since this tobacco evolved in England in symbiosis with English pipes, it is of great benefit to try it in UK/ Irish pipes. Most long-term virginia smokers will attest to the almost magical synergy of virginia tobaccos to certain brands of pipe.

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Also worth mentioning is the persnicketiness of Virginias regarding the pipes it is smoked in. Since this tobacco evolved in England in symbiosis with English pipes, it is of great benefit to try it in UK/ Irish pipes. Most long-term virginia smokers will attest to the almost magical synergy of virginia tobaccos to certain brands of pipe.
?‍♂️Pipe geometry doesn't affect smoking for me. I smoke whatever in whatever but usually my pairings are whimsical just because of what I may identify the pipe or tobacco with.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
?‍♂️Pipe geometry doesn't affect smoking for me. I smoke whatever in whatever but usually my pairings are whimsical just because of what I may identify the pipe or tobacco with.
I have been smoking pipes now for a decent amount of time where I have built up the knowledge to just pick the right pipe to blend without even think about it, but their are still people who are newer to the pipe and might not yet have that skill yet and need this to help them.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I see so correlation between brand of pipe and type of tobacco smoke, especially Virginias. I smoke 75% Virginia Flake and it would rarely be in a UK pipe. I personally fund Virginia Flake smokes best for me in a bowl with a smaller ID, say .75 to .80.
This isn’t law. What might work for you might not work for joe down the block from you. Their are many different variables but for someone who is just starting out, or maybe for someone like me where if I see something different from how I would do it I will try it out to see if it works better for me then how I was doing it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I have been smoking pipes now for a decent amount of time where I have built up the knowledge to just pick the right pipe to blend without even think about it, but their are still people who are newer to the pipe and might not yet have that skill yet and need this to help them.
I've never noticed a difference. Chased that idea for nearly 20 years before realizing that for me, one tobacco tastes the same in any unghosted pipe.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Have only been smoking a pipe for 13 years, but I still like to always try different things just for the knowledge and to be able to help others.
And that's a good thing. Too much is subjective to the individual with smoking though. I've got pipes with any number of chamber diameters but they don't affect the flavor of the smoke. For the past ten years I've just bought pipes that easily pass a pipe cleaner and that are pleasing to touch and look at.

Reactions: chopper and JOHN72

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
And that's a good thing. Too much is subjective to the individual with smoking though. I've got pipes with any number of chamber diameters but they don't affect the flavor of the smoke.
Respectfully I disagree to an extent maybe not to the flavor of the tobacco but for my palate. if I was to smoke a larger diameter pipe after a while I either get used to it and don’t taste it or will just get tired of it .

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Respectfully I disagree to an extent maybe not to the flavor of the tobacco but for my palate. if I was to smoke a larger diameter pipe after a while I either get used to it and don’t taste it or will just get tired of it .
Like I said, subjective to the individual. New smokers will take certain rules as "dogma" and if they fail to meet expectations they'll give up.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This isn’t law. What might work for you might not work for joe down the block from you. Their are many different variables but for someone who is just starting out, or maybe for someone like me where if I see something different from how I would do it I will try it out to see if it works better for me then how I was doing it.
It's my law which is the primary one I recognize. However, as long as I'm not purchasing your pipe and tobacco, you're free to write your own Constitution. :sher:

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
It's my law which is the primary one I recognize. However, as long as I'm not purchasing your pipe and tobacco, you're free to write your own Constitution. :sher:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and ways of doing things you do what works for you I do what works for me. Just because we have our own set of “rules” for our pipe smoking doesn’t mean we are not part of the pipe smokers family anymore hahaha

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I think your 'great benefit' of matching english tobacco's to english made pipes is very much a personal fact rather than something that could be generically helpful. Don't get me wrong, I totally believe it is your truth, but more of a personal one. Whenever I see a jagermeister bottle I feel nauseous, it really has that affect on me, and yet the brand continues to be produced, sold and consumed the world over regardless of my truth...there is no point in my educating anyone else about this.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I think your 'great benefit' of matching english tobacco's to english made pipes is very much a personal fact rather than something that could be generically helpful. Don't get me wrong, I totally believe it is your truth, but more of a personal one. Whenever I see a jagermeister bottle I feel nauseous, it really has that affect on me, and yet the brand continues to be produced, sold and consumed the world over regardless of my truth...there is no point in my educating anyone else about this.
It’s more of an observation and suggestion. Yes it was more of a personal fact, but I also know it’s not law. I have smoked English blends out of a pipe not made in England before and really enjoyed it myself.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I believe what you are referring to is called “Palate Fatigue”. This happens to me quite often and yes, chamber diameter does play a role. I cannot smoke a red Virginia in a pipe with a large chamber and relegate that genre to only my smallest pipes. On another note: most of the gentlemen on this forum are avid tobacco enthusiasts who smoke copious amounts per day. All of this plays into their experience vs yours, some newbies or mine. Hence the earlier admonition that what you are asking can only be answered by that person’s subjective opinion.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Back to the thread topic, it's a good question and something I never really thought of till now.

Why not have all blends in Flake format, if say the most popular blends from one company are flakes?

Aside from ribbon cut being more convenient, and easier to sell to the mass market, is there anybody who feels Flake tobacco's are significantly better than other cuts?

Reactions: chopper