Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I got a lot of estate pipes. Mostly savinelli, butz choquin, dr grabow amphora George jensen
All nice! But I got inheritated one dunhill.
For me dunhill is perfection. Perfect balance very light and even I still found old tobacco in it after refurbish its perfect. If I have the money I invest in dunhill. (Even I m way more francophile)

My actually plan is to broaden up my pipes depending which country I travel and collect the specific country brands.

Although with the pipes I inherited I would be set (around 35 pipes)

Briarpuffin

Lurker
Apr 19, 2023
I have a few nice briars some I have owned since 2008.
I recently bought a MM corncob to use for a ghost pipe when I go to the local pipe club to sample the free tins.
It turns out I love it Im going to buy a few more corncobs.
The same tobacco tastes different.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Cosmic nailed it. Such a diatribe if I were to actually ramble about what I like. So I like a story, or a random thing that stands out to me. Sandblasting is nature and art combined. The right gnarly blast can tell its own story. I have mostly American pipes. Modern and old Kaywoodie, independent carvers, lots of my own that have a flaw and should not be sold. Sometimes one little spot of grain, or shaping, or something unexplainable will be the whole reason I want a pipe.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I got into the pipe community because I've discovered that I'm what some would call a "tactile" personality. I love the touch and feel of objects in my hand. As such, I gravitate/change between pens and mechanical pencils. It's only natural that pipes satisfy the need for something tactile.

I tend to stay in the briar type of pipes, but I have a couple cobs to try new flavors. I can go rusticated, smooth or blasted because variety. As far as shapes, Author is probably my favorite, but I also like Billiards and Bulldogs. Straight or 1/8 type bent works, but no Oompauls or standard bend.

I also have a couple of independent carver pipes, Rick Black, Tyler Huckfelt and Ryan Alden.

Reactions: Lucashly

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
After my initial rush to buy a many different pipes as quickly as possible I now have plenty of pipes, all my stands/racks are full. Now comes the part where I start slowly replacing them with what I really want to hold onto forever.

I like pipes that catch my eye. What does that mean? I have no earthly idea. Sometimes it's a very good example of a shape I don't usually care for, like my Karl Jensen freehand (in the Danish 'Big 'ol Chunk of Briar' style). Sometimes it's something that just feels great in the hand for no apparent reason, like my Medico Jetstream. Sometimes it's a great example of a finish in not crazy about in general (like the Peterson rusticated Dracula bent billiard). Sometimes it's function, like my Bones Arbutus Sitter for my driving pipes or bent Country Gentleman for fishing. Others it's just the sheer beauty, like a smooth Peterson author.

If you go by my collection now, I seem to favor smooth estate pipes and basket pipes, and cobs. But the next few years should change that.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Italian pipes. Ser Jacopo’s are my favorite. They tend to be larger which I like. The shapes and finishes are extremely appealing to me.
I also have a thing for Brebbia pipes. Sometimes they are great, other times not so much so they become a bit of a treasure hunt. For whatever reason I see more fillers on Brebbia’s than any other. Some of their shapes are odd and not favorable, some I find extremely pleasing. Brebbia’s are almost always sound smokers, at least mine have been. They don’t receive the same love as Savinelli pipes but share the same heritage. I suppose they are sort of an enigma to me.
I’ve bought more than a few Peterson’s as well. I haven’t been disappointed.

Reactions: jwussow

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
My first Pipe was a Ben Wade Freehand back in the late 70’s I was a kid and couldn’t smoke it at the time. In the 80s I became a huge fan of Petersons and Ser Jacopo.
Danish freehands, Dunhill’s, Ashton’s lately especially stacks and Canadians.
They all have a place for me somehow. Really just depends on the pipe itself.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I'm a sucker for a sandblasted bent billiard with thicker walls. I think I prefer how smooth pipes look visually, but enjoy something textured to roll around between my fingers. For the same reason I enjoy a rusticated finish, but there's something mentally I prefer about a sandblasted finish.

Italian pipes. Ser Jacopo’s are my favorite. They tend to be larger which I like. The shapes and finishes are extremely appealing to me.
I also have a thing for Brebbia pipes. Sometimes they are great, other times not so much so they become a bit of a treasure hunt. For whatever reason I see more fillers on Brebbia’s than any other. Some of their shapes are odd and not favorable, some I find extremely pleasing. Brebbia’s are almost always sound smokers, at least mine have been. They don’t receive the same love as Savinelli pipes but share the same heritage. I suppose they are sort of an enigma to me.
I’ve bought more than a few Peterson’s as well. I haven’t been disappointed.
I hadn't really heard of this brand before, the Naif series of pipes is a seriously cool look! They have a lot of bowls that remind me of carnivorous plants - very organic, flowing lines.

Reactions: wernerat

tmcg81

May 8, 2020
NJ
I like a Sandblasted pipe. Straight billiard or some sort of bent apple. But I'm not picky. If something speaks to me, it's for me.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Savinelli: 404 Billiard (Tre) and 673 Bent Bulldog (Roma Lucite) never disappoint. Is it the shapes? Is it the rustication? Is it the brand? Hard to say but I would gladly have a dozen of each kind if I wasn’t bored easily.

BriarWorks: a little sandblasted billiard I’ve got is just so perfect, I want a dozen more of these or something similar from BriarWorks.

Irish Seconds: a smooth billiard with saddle stem that I’ve been smoking nearly a dozen years that never truly gets old. I think it is my best and least expensive Peterson make (originally pulled from a barrel of seconds: I believe now that I hit the jackpot).

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Savinelli: 404 Billiard (Tre) and 673 Bent Bulldog (Roma Lucite) never disappoint. Is it the shapes? Is it the rustication? Is it the brand? Hard to say but I would gladly have a dozen of each kind if I wasn’t bored easily.

BriarWorks: a little sandblasted billiard I’ve got is just so perfect, I want a dozen more of these or something similar from BriarWorks.

Irish Seconds: a smooth billiard with saddle stem that I’ve been smoking nearly a dozen years that never truly gets old. I think it is my best and least expensive Peterson make (originally pulled from a barrel of seconds: I believe now that I hit the jackpot).
Love the whole idea of Briarworks and their pipes are nice smokers. I just wish they were a little cheaper so that I could afford the dozen as well. When I compare pipes at the same price, I always find one I like more. That being said, I really like the 2 I picked up at the factory last year.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Love the whole idea of Briarworks and their pipes are nice smokers. I just wish they were a little cheaper so that I could afford the dozen as well. When I compare pipes at the same price, I always find one I like more. That being said, I really like the 2 I picked up at the factory last year.
Same with me. I get why they’re priced where they are due to their artisanal finishing but yeah, I often find something I like more at that price range.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
I’ve got ~6 non-cobs of different shapes. I’ve been using my sav 904 flambé exclusively for the past months, though. I like it because it’s a good large-side-of-medium size and has a neat shape, elegant but rugged.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

These all sound like winners. Do you have any pics?