PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This last year I realized that every pipe I own except Pre 1954 Marxman pipes are not as good smokers.

I bought this one tonight for $24.50 plus $5.50 shipping on eBay.

It will be a dynamite smoker, incomparable with anything else except a Marxman in the huge stash of pipes I’ve accumulated over fifty years.

Try one. They will spoil you for the others.

IMG_4677.jpegIMG_4678.jpegIMG_4679.jpegIMG_4680.jpegIMG_4681.jpeg

They aren’t pretty and every one is over 70 years old.

But they smoked the best, and by far, the best.

Reactions: AroEnglish and milk

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I don't like cobs, and I don't like extreme shapes (like Zulu, volcano, fan, most freehands). Prefer meerschaum, briar and clay.

Aesthetic preferences: much prefer traditional shapes (billiards, bulldog/Rhodesian, prince, apple, etc), with apple and prince being my most favorite. I have no preferences between smooths and blasts/rustications, but I do prefer anything textured to still have a smooth rim, and I am a huge sucker for a contrasting rim. No real stain preferences, but I'm not a big fan of naturals or anything too orange or yellow, though I do lean more towards dark/black/grey and dark red stains, brown if it's darker or like walnut. I prefer slight bends and straights, with a stronger preference for the bends, but I don't like full bends (prince shape is like right on). I also have a preference for less chunky shank proportions. I also have a slight preference for slightly beveled rims.

Acrylic stems and prefer non-filter pipes (I don't use filters and the tenon on those requires extra cleaning). This is for practical purposes because I am lazy—I hate cleaning, so anything that makes maintenance easier.

Most of my preference comes down to aesthetics, and my aesthetic preferences are basic af. No reason why, just what I Like the look of, as long as it smokes decent.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This last year I realized that every pipe I own except Pre 1954 Marxman pipes are not as good smokers.
It will be a dynamite smoker, incomparable with anything else except a Marxman in the huge stash of pipes I’ve accumulated over fifty years.

View attachment 239750View attachment 239751View attachment 239752View attachment 239753View attachment 239754

They aren’t pretty and every one is over 70 years old.

But they smoked the best, and by far, the best.
What, after all the years of hype, you’ve downgraded Pipes by Lee ? :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: fireground_piper

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What, after all the years of hype, you’ve downgraded Pipes by Lee ? :eek:
A Marxman was a pipe meant for a leather tongued, addicted, hard bitten veteran pipe smoker like me. They don’t smoke sweet and cool on the first bowl like a Lee.

Every Lee star grade pipe is as beautiful as a post war factory pipe could be. The plainest Lee I own of over a hundred is fancier grained than my best looking Marxman.

But if you can load and smoke a pipe in the dark without looking at one, smoke a pre 54 Marxman. They smoke the best, if you know how to smoke a pipe half asleep.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
A Marxman was a pipe meant for a leather tongued, addicted, hard bitten veteran pipe smoker like me. They don’t smoke sweet and cool on the first bowl like a Lee.

Every Lee star grade pipe is as beautiful as a post war factory pipe could be. The plainest Lee I own of over a hundred is fancier grained than my best looking Marxman.

But if you can load and smoke a pipe in the dark without looking at one, smoke a pre 54 Marxman. They smoke the best, if you know how to smoke a pipe half asleep.
That’s having an each way bet in my books rotf

Just having a lend of you ;)

gkunkel

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2014
I enjoy durable briars with somewhat large bowls with thick rims and a little bit of flair.
That said, I've come to appreciate cobs as well.

Pipercat

Lurker
Aug 14, 2023
Vauen and Savinelli are my two favorites. Vauen is what I have the most of ny far. I have been able to obtain most of what I like, so slowing down as far as collecting. I am attracted to unusual, but attractive shapes, nothing too wierd. No two are alike. When Vauen comes out with a new line that I like, I usually get the shape that is the odd one out, not produced as much.

Wish I had the money when Savinelli came out with the Ottagano II. Those sold out quick 😞

Reactions: AroEnglish

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Vauen and Savinelli are my two favorites. Vauen is what I have the most of ny far. I have been able to obtain most of what I like, so slowing down as far as collecting. I am attracted to unusual, but attractive shapes, nothing too wierd. No two are alike. When Vauen comes out with a new line that I like, I usually get the shape that is the odd one out, not produced as much.

Wish I had the money when Savinelli came out with the Ottagano II. Those sold out quick 😞

Rex_D

Lurker
Aug 6, 2023
I like cobs for everyday smokes. Thought i liked churchwardens and other long pipes but found I'd smack them on the doorframe or something else when clenched and while walking around.

Now my preference is for shorter pipes, nosewarmers etc.

This is a terrific pipe.

Screenshot_1.png

• Love
Reactions: David D. Davidson

craZivn

Lurker
Aug 7, 2023
Northern U.S.
crazivn.com
I like mm hardwoods and cobs.
They don't slip out of my clench. The materials are absorbent, and that improves the smoke in humid weather. The stems are easy to replace, though mine rarely if ever need replacing. They're cheap, and rugged, so it's no big deal if I lose or break one--though again I rarely do.
Same here on all points, except I haven't tried their hardwood pipe yet. But the MM cobs are the most practical pipes I know of.

Ivan

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I like a good cob from Missouri Meerschaum. The simplicity of it makes my smoking experience increase 10 fold due to the nostalgia it brings me. I have an Italian baraccini I enjoy on occasion as well as an all wood churchwarden. Tge churchwarden makes me feel like I'm in a Sherlock Holmes novel and the Italian pipe makes me feel fancy.