PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
1. I like Falcons because they give a cool, dry smoke and their easy to clean.

2. I like Cobs because I like burley and burley goes great in a cob.

3. I prefer briar in the billiard shape because they just smoke great in that shape.
I'm getting into the Dublin shape because I'm getting into straight Virginias and
that leaf seems to smoke better in a Dublin.

4. I have never smoked a clay pipe. I'm somewhat leery of a clay because their fragile and I can be rough on pipe.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
1. I like Falcons because they give a cool, dry smoke and their easy to clean.

2. I like Cobs because I like burley and burley goes great in a cob.

3. I prefer briar in the billiard shape because they just smoke great in that shape.
I'm getting into the Dublin shape because I'm getting into straight Virginias and
that leaf seems to smoke better in a Dublin.

4. I have never smoked a clay pipe. I'm somewhat leery of a clay because their fragile and I can be rough on pipe.
At least the clays are fairly cheap.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Clays all the way for me! I like the history with them and the pure taste. I got into clay pipes after seeing re-enactors smoking them. Some of them have taught me a few tricks like blowing back through the pipe every few puffs and how to empty the ash out of a clay pipe without breaking it!
Why do you blow back through the pipe every few puffs?

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
At least the clays are fairly cheap.
@CoffeeAndBourbon I've lost count of how many clays I've broken...
Only been to the Battle of Nantwich once but left my mark there by breaking a clay pipe while tapping the ash out in an ashtray at a beer garden. Been to Nantwich twice; 30 years apart as Mum & Dad took me to Stapeley Water Gardens as a child. First time I went to Nantwich I 'broke' a fountain; the second I broke a clay pipe:)
Stapeley Water Gardens closed in 2011:

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I'm a Briarworks fanboy...
I have a couple of other big name brands as well but nothing too expensive. A couple of Petes, Vauens and a Savinelli.

As far as shapes goes that is dependent on mood, tobacco and smoking situation. For anything where I am using my hands, like darts or Kayaking, I like the Lovat.

Grilling is almost always the Prince.

I go for big bent pipes around the fire or in the yard tub.

Driving get's smaller straight pipes for the most part.

Woodshop or work, I prefer Pokers/sitters.

And sometimes I just grab whichever one was cleaned out last time I used it vs the 10 lying around full of ash and dottle.....

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm a Briarworks fanboy...
I have a couple of other big name brands as well but nothing too expensive. A couple of Petes, Vauens and a Savinelli.

As far as shapes goes that is dependent on mood, tobacco and smoking situation. For anything where I am using my hands, like darts or Kayaking, I like the Lovat.

Grilling is almost always the Prince.

I go for big bent pipes around the fire or in the yard tub.

Driving get's smaller straight pipes for the most part.

Woodshop or work, I prefer Pokers/sitters.

And sometimes I just grab whichever one was cleaned out last time I used it vs the 10 lying around full of ash and dottle.....
Sounds like my kind of pipes! Do you have any pics of your collection?

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
My collection is boring enough that I debated whether to even post. A small handful of production line briars hewing to classic shapes. The vintage ones were just really cheap on eBay when I started buying 20+ years ago. And a half-dozen cobs. Nothing against artisan pipes, but I haven't seen any that I "must have" yet.

As for the shapes, I've always liked the feel of squat bulldog shapes in the hand (tall bulldogs bug me visually for some reason), but have really come to love the prince shape. Minimal but elegant. Shorter chambers are easier for me to work with, and I don't mind refilling. :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I like copper pipes for the looks, both brand new and well oxidized. Same with roof cladding, gutters, almost anything. Copper kettles, pots and pans, etc.

As to pipes I smoke, too broad to say, except no cobs or clays in rotation.
John, I agree with you about how nice a well-done copper pipe installation looks. Like sculpture. But you can’t beat pex for ease of installation, lack of pressure drop, and longevity (especially if the water is even slightly acidic)

I also tend to favor briar, but of late have really been enjoying clays. Cobs are for the car, and I do like how they smoke, with the added bonus that rim char adds character, not angst!