PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
For me, it's rote.

Usually 5 pipes a day, each around the same time, usually doing the same thing, smoking the same rotation of tobacco.

If I'm lucky, or doing something out of the ordinary or on vacation, I'll get in an extra pipe or three.

If I know I'll have some time to wait or relax, that's a trigger.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
My favorite trigger is 6lbs 14 oz in double action, 6lbs 7 oz from half cock, and is 3lbs 14 oz in single action.
Usually I feel the impulse to smoke a pipe when I'm reading and relaxing...which is pretty much what I like to do all the time.

Reactions: K.E. Powell
Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
Being awake. If I'm awake, I'm taking in nicotine in some way, shape or form. Truth be told, I fall asleep in the recliner all the time with dip or a chew. Eating and drinking with dip, no problem.

I dont understand how you eat with a dip, I do the drinking and napping. Seems like eating with a dip would mess up your food.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I don't know if I would go so far as to say I have a trigger, as that implies pipe smoking is an addiction for me, which it isn't.

But to answer in the spirit of the question, I would say dusk. Just when the light begins to fade and the temperature drops. That is my favorite time to smoke. A campfire also encourages me to reach for a cigar.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Well, I'm married. And she is a wonderful woman. But even the most wonderul woman can come at you like the waves of troops hitting the beach on D-Day from time to time. To my wife, pipe smoke is like a cross & garlic to Dracula. So when I need some peace and quiet, I'm only a match and a bowl away from being alone with my own thought (yes, thought -singlular. I'm not that deep.)

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I mostly don't really have anything that triggers my desire for tobacco really. I do have habits around it, like having cigarettes after a meal or with my coffee, but simply grabbing some coffee or eating doesn't trigger me to want a cigarette or pipe.

The one exception to this is if I crack open a beer. From the first sip, I then crave nicotine and definitely triggers desire. That said, I don't drink much, I can't even honestly remember the last time I had a beer. I'm not abstinent or sober or straight edge or anything like that, I used to have a single beer every afternoon. My only reason for dropping that practice is money (everything keeps getting more expensive).

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Im out and about the property all day.
Tending to animals and crops, fixing tractors, shoeing horses, mending fences, milking cows, fixing animals, check in at the shop.......
During that time I almost always have a dip in.
When the chores are done, ill take a shower and eat dinner.
After that, im usually in the mood to sit on the back patio and relax with a pipe. If the weather isn't cooperating I just watch TV with a dip in.
Those few times a week I get to smoke a pipe make all the above worth it.
My wife and I are pretty much done with the "going out" and even done with the going to friends or families homes for the most part.
The important people in our lives like to come to our house anyways.
There is always something to do here......fish, ride horses, shoot guns, pet goats :) , cook and eat food, drink booze.......
Many of our friends live in suburbia so these things are all looked down on.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Cigarettes, surprisingly. I love the smell, so if someone near me is smoking, I'll want to light up my pipe. If I see smoking in movies/TV shows, that's also a trigger.

Outside of that, anything pipe-related of course makes me want to have a bowl (YouTube videos, etc.).

Even just heading out to run some errands makes me want to pack a pipe for the drive.

There aren't many situations that I won't justify a pipe!

Reactions: Jacob74

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My favorite trigger is that of the Swiss K-31.

As for the pipe, my consumption has dropped down to about once or twice a week. There's often times I think of having a pipe but I don't necessarily feel triggered. It's more a matter of confirming that several planets are aligned.

I'm probably the least dependent on nicotine now as I have been since age 14. I do still enjoy it, though.

Time and temperature are my most compelling factors. If I have a solid 90 minutes and a favorable temp for opening and exhausting the basement, than I'm usually all in.

1722180338057.png

Forum Sig.png