What is Your Opinion on the Taste of SG's Products Post Merger?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
Wow, No Differences, That's Good, I have one Tin too. Good Stuff!
I wouldn't say no differences. It's more consistent now but I'd had better and worse versions of the blend before. Echoing what an earlier poster said, SG was never known for their ability keep tobaccos the same from batch to batch.

I've got a few pounds of Squadron Leader with about half from before the merger and half from after. I like both.

Reactions: johng99 and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I wouldn't say no differences. It's more consistent now but I'd had better and worse versions of the blend before. Echoing what an earlier poster said, SG was never known for their ability keep tobaccos the same from batch to batch.

I've got a few pounds of Squadron Leader with about half from before the merger and half from after. I like both.
Or as we say in the Pacific rim
...same same but different

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I envy you. I wish I could like all the products before and after the merger of FVF, SJF, Balkan Flake!
But they are still making good products. It is true.

and I like that too. Brown No.4
Actually a few years ago a UK shop had Balkan Flake from 2003, I bought 25g. The first bowl was among the tastiest things I ever smoked, then sadly instead of smoking it fast like any very old tobacco I decided to keep it...which resulted in all taste lost. I have a tin of Balkan Flake bought maybe 2 years ago, not in a rush to open it. The 15 year old Balkan Flake was jet black, crumbly and rubbery, seeing photographs of new flakes they are more brown than black.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FVF and SJF had picked Lakeland profiles! Oh...
It was British style... I see.
So they've been changing over and over again before the merger?
Batches vary. Germain's is the same. Stonehaven is well known for significant variations from batch to batch. I've think that's somewhat built into what's accepted practice in Britain. How else to explain the existence of Lucas Electrics?

From my experience it's also what gave British made tobacco blends more character than their Danish recreations.

Of course, sometimes you got Jekyll and other times you got Hyde.

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
Batches vary. Germain's is the same. Stonehaven is well known for significant variations from batch to batch. I've think that's somewhat built into what's accepted practice in Britain. How else to explain the existence of Lucas Electrics?

From my experience it's also what gave British made tobacco blends more character than their Danish recreations.

Of course, sometimes you got Jekyll and other times you got Hyde.
Thank you. It was very helpful to me.

That's how it used to be in Brit.
I was thinking that British people are similar to Germany. But I guess I was wrong.

And... As expected, the Germans are just like them.

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
The vagaries of British batch production vs Japanese tight-tolerance manufacturing (which went on to take over the way nearly all things are made) is why Honda CB 750's from the 70's are still running today and BSAs and Norton's are in pieces in garages around the US.
That's an amazing expression! I can understand.

I'm in Japanese company and I work with the Japanese, most of the time I work with them is frustrating.
Because They are not flexible. But... yes, their products deserve to be trusted enough.

And Germany...
I love everything they make. Especially the CAR

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
I have noticed a difference in Kendall Plug, FVF and Golden Glow. All of them are brighter than before with a little less depth of flavor. I'll stick to the old stuff.
Thank you for the comments. It's an honor.
and I'm very happy that what I felt was proved not wrong by you.

I know you're famous to pipe lovers all over the world.
You are also very famous among pipe smokers in Korea as a cigarette reviewer. a living legend.

I always read your reviews and study the notes that each tobacco has.
and thanks to refer that How to catch it by referring to it, and so on. Thank you!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for the comments. It's an honor.
and I'm very happy that what I felt was proved not wrong by you.

I know you're famous to pipe lovers all over the world.
You are also very famous among pipe smokers in Korea as a cigarette reviewer. a living legend.

I always read your reviews and study the notes that each tobacco has.
and thanks to refer that How to catch it by referring to it, and so on. Thank you!
Holy cow! I had no idea about that, man. I thank you for the very generous words, and am pleased my reviews help you and your friends.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
I can assure you that very little has changed in the production of SG tobaccos since the merger. Indeed we took on several of the SG staff and they just moved to our factory, along with some of the machinery and carried on making the tobacco the same. There is a difference in how SG and GH tobaccos are made as someone has already pointed out in terms of when flavouring is added. But in effect SG just moved into space in the GH factory.

No-one from Gawith's has come in and tweaked anything. We are an incredibly small company. We currently have just over 30 employees including all management, sales staff, office staff and production and packing staff. Much of the production is done by hand. So of course there will be some variations between batches. It is not mass produced product. Also batches vary depending on leaf being used.

There were no falling out between family members. Indeed there is just me and my brother and my Mum is the major shareholder. There were no 'Gawith's within Samuel Gawith for a long time prior to the merger.

Yes Chris has been looking at better quality control, better packaging and stuff, but this is not so much within the actual tobacco production process.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
I can assure you that very little has changed in the production of SG tobaccos since the merger.

Why is there such a drastic difference then? There have been multiple threads here over the last few years commenting on it, I have even personally made a thread about it a few years ago when my SJF turned up looking and tasting vastly different from the pre merge stuff.

As others have already have pointed out, the new stuff is brighter in color and in some cases has less depth. If I go to my cellar and pick out two jars of SJF or FVF, with one being pre merge and other post merge. The pre merge is almost black in color, thicker and more moist. The new stuff is brighter, thinner and less moist.

I have seen theories ranging from tobacco quality, crop changes and to lack of sauce making it age differently, but none has yet to come up with a good answer.

Don't take this the wrong way, I love your tobacco, but the old stuff was better.

Reactions: ram74 and Smithy

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
And yet others disagree and say no or little difference.
There will always be batch differences with artisan products and ones that are predominantly handmade.
And of course leaf quality and crop changes also make a difference.
But as already said, its the same staff making the products in the same way, same machinery mostly, same recipes...

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
merge stuff.

As others have already have pointed out, the new stuff is brighter in color and in some cases has less depth. If I go to my cellar and pick out two jars of SJF or FVF, with one being pre merge and other post merge. The pre merge is almost black in color, thicker and more moist. The new stuff is brighter, thinner and less moist.
Tobacco gets darker as it ages. Perhaps the new stuff will get darker over time.
Besides given the nature of naturally grown crops you're going to get variations over periods of time.

People talk about classics like Escudo not being what it was 20 years ago. Well, of course it isn't.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I can assure you that very little has changed in the production of SG tobaccos since the merger. Indeed we took on several of the SG staff and they just moved to our factory, along with some of the machinery and carried on making the tobacco the same. There is a difference in how SG and GH tobaccos are made as someone has already pointed out in terms of when flavouring is added. But in effect SG just moved into space in the GH factory.

No-one from Gawith's has come in and tweaked anything. We are an incredibly small company. We currently have just over 30 employees including all management, sales staff, office staff and production and packing staff. Much of the production is done by hand. So of course there will be some variations between batches. It is not mass produced product. Also batches vary depending on leaf being used.

There were no falling out between family members. Indeed there is just me and my brother and my Mum is the major shareholder. There were no 'Gawith's within Samuel Gawith for a long time prior to the merger.

Yes Chris has been looking at better quality control, better packaging and stuff, but this is not so much within the actual tobacco production process.
Really nice to see you on the board and bothering to answer questions etc..... Much appreciated...
.... now when are you going to get some tours of the factory organised.. ?????