What is Your Opinion on the Taste of SG's Products Post Merger?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
More theories here than there are about who shot JFK…

Tobaccos differ. Storage and handling, weather, and any number of other factors play into it.

I think the manufacturer has already made the case that other than variations in crops, and what tobaccos get mixed into a blend, that basically in the scope of production of the end product, the merger was basically a non event.

Although some more consistency in production has occurred due to process improvements…

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If Plume is not a mold cover up, and it's not sugar, then it's a third option? I've never seen it presented as something other than a mold cover up or sugar crystals.
Tobacco mold is hairy and extremely toxic. Plume is crystalline, and from what I've read, made up of mineral deposits in the tobacco that gradually migrate to the surface. Do some Google searches and you'll find posts of microscopic photography of both.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
I fail to follow your reasoning here.

A percentage of moisture does aid in aging tobacco. However more moisture doesn’t equal quicker aging.

Agricultural products require drying to certain percentage of moisture in order to be stored. Corn, rice, beans etc. Anything above the nominal amount invites rot and mold.

Will it make the tobacco age differently though? I went thru a couple of more jars, and to my nose, the more wet/dark the tobacco was, the deeper, richer, more dried fruity they smelled.

And what I ment with faster aging is that most of the old/wetter stuff had alot of this out the tin somewhat fresh.

The post merge jars are aging nicely, but definitely not at the same rate/way.

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Will it make the tobacco age differently though? I went thru a couple of more jars, and to my nose, the more wet/dark the tobacco was, the deeper, richer, more dried fruity they smelled.

And what I ment with faster aging is that most of the old/wetter stuff had alot of this out the tin somewhat fresh.

The post merge jars are aging nicely, but definitely not at the same rate/way.

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
If your not interested in having a philosophical discussion about this, why bother posting? You seem cranky, have you had your daily pipe?

Reactions: Smithy

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Bit difficult to do tours due to health and safety, security etc but I do intend to try and get some videos done of production and if there is something particular you want to see, I'll try and sort that.

Oh, I missed this post. I would pay for guided video tour, even more so if done with a 360 camera for user control of where to look.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Explains my fire proof Best Brown No: 4 tins. Probably very old stock but with the addition some dried shit it seems to fire up OK now. Strange as I never experienced that with the XXX Black stuff. Funny old world really!

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Bumping this thread.

I have done some experimentation where I added distilled water to some of my post merge jars and the result is just outstanding. I don't have a camera but the jar of FVF went from a lightish brown to dark brown, not as dark as the pre merge jars but with some additional moisture and a few more months of age I believe they will become indistinguishable from the pre merge.

And the smell?

This is what surprised me the most, it's only been 2½ months since I added moisture and the smell is much deeper, richer and with a dried fruit type smell near identical as the post merge, it's not the same as the post merge but darn close. I believe that after a few more months the smell will be indistinguishable from post merge.

I have not yet tasted them but will do so when they have spent a total of 6 months with added moisture.

Conclusion so far? The post merge stuff can be turned into pre merge with added moisture!

Last edited:

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Bumping this thread.

I made some spelling mistakes mixing up post and pre merge, unfortunately I cannot edit those out now.

And I forgot to mention that the exact same thing happend with a tin of SJF and CH Flake. The SJF is much darker, deeper and fruiter in it's smell with a much darker colour. CH Flake had not change in smell but turned darker in color.

Oct 7, 2016
Bumping this thread.

I have done some experimentation where I added distilled water to some of my post merge jars and the result is just outstanding. I don't have a camera but the jar of FVF went from a lightish brown to dark brown, not as dark as the pre merge jars but with some additional moisture and a few more months of age I believe they will become indistinguishable from the pre merge.

And the smell?

This is what surprised me the most, it's only been 2½ months since I added moisture and the smell is much deeper, richer and with a dried fruit type smell near identical as the post merge, it's not the same as the post merge but darn close. I believe that after a few more months the smell will be indistinguishable from post merge.

I have not yet tasted them but will do so when they have spent a total of 6 months with added moisture.

Conclusion so far? The post merge stuff can be turned into pre merge with added moisture!
Interesting but not surprising. There are lots of variables in how an agricultural product will change when stored, moisture content would be right up there on the list of most influential.

Reactions: mingc

heyeveryone

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Interesting but not surprising. There are lots of variables in how an agricultural product will change when stored, moisture content would be right up there on the list of most influential.

I'm realy surprised, but also not realy since @gawithhoggarth has confirmed that the only change they did when merging was switching over from a watering can to steaming.

But I also had a hard time believing this would happen when I started this experiment after this threads initial discussion. Abit flabbergasted over the whole thing to be honest.

Both FVF and SJF have majorly improved in a very short amount of time. I'm abit bias since I love perique, but to me the SJF has evolved the most smell wise. Before I added moisture you could smell the perique, but it was more of a generic fruity perique type smell. Now you can realy smell the figs and raisins other then just a generic fruity perique. And the depth is so much more.

Can't wait to see what happens in the next few months. I have added some more moisture to the FVF as I felt it was not wet enough. Unfortunaly I dont remember or have written down how much moisture I have added in total as I would just sprinkle in some drops every few days until I felt it was enough. But I would guess 1-2 teaspoons per 50g jar.

Reactions: mingc
Oct 7, 2016
But I also had a hard time believing this would happen when I started this experiment after this threads initial discussion. Abit flabbergasted over the whole thing to be honest.
H2O level is a major factor in oxidation, which certainly changes the appearance of the product and maybe the taste.

Gawith is in a tough spot. After the merger, the number one complaint they received abou SG was that it was too wet. So, they pack it drier and the Internet s filled with people slamming the lighter appearing product

Personally, I prefer Bst Brown/Kendal Plug, but I have smoked a reasonable amount of FVF over the years, starting I guess some time in the mid 1990’s, and the difference in taste over those years is immaterial to me. YMMV, of course.