PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dri33le

Lurker
Nov 30, 2016
Oklahoma
Used to love my custom zippo pipe lighter but, it has to be refilled too often. Now I use wooden matches to start and Bic lighters if I need to relight. 018BFD73-930F-4715-8727-8551FE5E42D2.jpeg

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Coming very late to the game I just discovered mini Bics a lighter that ignites every time.Now I’m obsessing about how many lights do you get from a tiny lighter it seems to go on and on.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Coming very late to the game I just discovered mini Bics a lighter that ignites every time.Now I’m obsessing about how many lights do you get from a tiny lighter it seems to go on and on.
My experience is: not enough. It gives out when you least expect it and have no backup. Maybe the flamethrower flame has something to do with its being short-lived.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Just added a ST Dupont Line 1 Tall w/ a pipe nozzle and I have to say, it’s pretty solid. Not enough use yet to declare it an outright victor, and I also haven’t used it enough to develop a muscle memory that results in mindless lighting, but it really is a great lighter.

Additionally, I added one of those butane pipe inserts to one of my Zippos and early indication is that it’ll also be a solid addition to my slowly growing LAD problem. I’m not sure how it’ll hold up in the wind, but my thought was to find an equally useful lighter that I wouldn’t mind accidentally dropping to the bottom of a lake through a hole in the ice.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
My experience is: not enough. It gives out when you least expect it and have no backup. Maybe the flamethrower flame has something to do with its being short-lived.

I bought five off Ebay maybe I got a batch of good uns.

Reactions: Reggie

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I still have my brass zippo with me everyday, but it's been mostly delegated to cigs. I prefer a bic for my pipe these days, as it's more no fuss. I want it easy.

I changed the insert of my zippo, as it went through the wash with the pipe insert in it. Too impatient for it to dry, I switched it out for a brand new regular insert. I haven't tried lighting my pipe with it this way yet. I know lots of guys prefer it this way.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I always had the urge to get nice and expensive torch for lighting cigars till I got some cheap ass lighter I got with a order (and almost every order after that) which worked fine, so I never bothered.

So I don't think I will be bothered with getting a pipe lighter, although I like the IMCorona ones with the wheel a lot. Bic works for now.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I’ve just ordered a metal Clipper pipe lighter to go with the many others I have. I generally start with a match and use whatever is at hand for relights but I’m hoping this Clipper will be a good un, it’s refillable so that’s a bonus.
I want to try and trade my Dunhill cigarette lighter for a pipe one eventually, if possible.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
My only problem with Bic lighters is the waste. Once they’re empty that’s it, and you can’t recycle them. Unless they’ve changed the design since I last had one. But even with Clippers the plastic piece that holds the Flint and roller eventually starts to give and the roller pops loose. But they also fit nicely into a 12 bore shotgun shell image.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My latest lighter purchases are these IM Corona Pipemasters. I was just cruising lighters one day not that long ago and saw this lighter that had a 185.00 retail going for 113.00 at PC.

I already had 4 or 5 Pipemasters and didn't need anymore but I really liked it and the price was right. I pulled the trigger, and it worked just as well as my other Pipemasters. I figured at that price they were blowing them out as I didn't see one like it at any other vendors. I waited a couple of weeks and they were still showing 1, I said hell, I always like a good deal so I bought another. A few weeks later they still had the deal so I got another. A couple of weeks later I got another and then I refused to go to that site for at least a couple of months.
Yes I have a lighter fetish and it started with my first Zippo when I was around 12-13. I am done buying any more lighters, yeah right.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
20210318_134416.jpg
Loving this old Sarome I got from @BROBS.
I have several Zippos that are sentimental to me, including ones inherited from my mom, grandpa, and other family, as well as a few I've had since high school, but I do get tired of constantly refilling. Plus they're pretty clunky in the pocket. When I do carry a zippo, i lean towards the slimmer model now. But if I'm out and about and don't want to worry about keeping up with a nice lighter or it suddenly running out of fuel, I carry a bic and always keep a box of matches in my glovebox.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My only problem with Bic lighters is the waste. Once they’re empty that’s it, and you can’t recycle them. Unless they’ve changed the design since I last had one. But even with Clippers the plastic piece that holds the Flint and roller eventually starts to give and the roller pops loose. But they also fit nicely into a 12 bore shotgun shell View attachment 71132
That's also why I like the zippo. Reusable, same reason I use fountain pens.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use many different brands. Favs are Fauxponts and Old Boys. Can consistently light in winds up to about 12 kts. (It does take special considerations, such as facing the breeze and cupping the hands around the flame.)

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.