PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Man, am I rusty on anchors! The above is clearly a Danforth. Here's a nice hinged plow anchor:

plw-00ss-with-logo_1750x1750_01_1600x.jpg

Reactions: bnichols23

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Look at that teak! Sure looks beautiful, until a few seasons have passed and you're standing in the hardware store buying a crate of sandpaper!

Unless you have some hired hands to do it for you, I guess. Then I'd get wooden boat. No problem. Clink my glass for the steward and fire up another bowl!
Yes, brightwork is a joy to behold, a bitch to keep up.
I'd love to be able to keep a 40' wooden sloop.... Maybe in another life.

Reactions: bnichols23

EA-6B

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
IMC Pipemaster.jpeg
Not my pic, but I found it interesting that the IM Corona PipeMaster tank doesn't take up more of the body, & that the internal frame is plastic. I stay away from Piezo ignition too, but everyone knows that that's in there. =)

Still dailying this Dupont Line 1 shorty, since upgraded to a Pipe-Flame nozzle:
Dupont L1.JPG
I love the flame adjusters on these, it's so easy to make accurate one-handed flame adjustments while it's lit.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I really like lighting my pipe with a match. However, I keep thinking that the optimal conditions I have enjoyed for such will not always be present. So I am thinking of buying a lighter. I like the IM Coronas, but will probably settle for a Stokkebye 4th Generation. I just like that particular style.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I really like lighting my pipe with a match. However, I keep thinking that the optimal conditions I have enjoyed for such will not always be present. So I am thinking of buying a lighter. I like the IM Coronas, but will probably settle for a Stokkebye 4th Generation. I just like that particular style.
The Old Boy style is classic, and dependable.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
Currently using a zippo with a pipe insert for windy days and playing with a Dissim ring lighter, it works pretty well. Also have a Kiribi Kabuto which was sent in to smoking pipes for repair since it was taking 10-15 strikes to light, we'll see how long it takes to get back to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Currently using a zippo with a pipe insert for windy days and playing with a Dissim ring lighter, it works pretty well. Also have a Kiribi Kabuto which was sent in to smoking pipes for repair since it was taking 10-15 strikes to light, we'll see how long it takes to get back to me.

Yes, like to know. I have a few Kabutos, and so far, so good.

J —I am guessing you live in Arizona!

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I've been reading about the Dunhill Rollagas being the Cadillac of lighters. I'm working on getting one. Currently I just have a new Zippo pipe lighter, a new Ronson pipe lighter on the way, and a lift arm lighter from tobacco pipes on the way. Actually forgot I bought the Ronson. Have to stop that. At least that's what I told her. Shhh!!

Also I'm looking at some other lighters that will need repair on ebay. Very simple lift arm types. Since they were built when things were built to last, once repaired they should be good. About the end of the 70s, early 80s I think is when things started going to Hell in a hand basket. Maybe the 60s when everyone wasn't inhaling.

I've been using the waxed hemp twine with a hemp twine bic case. Works pretty good, unless its windy. Then its completely useless. Then I just use the bic. I always use the pipe lighter to start off. For relighting after the tobacco has receded towards the bottom of the bowl, it really doesn't work that well.

That's why I got the other 2 lighters and hopefully a Rollagas. They make kits for the Rollagas to get them functional if you get one not functioning. Just make sure you don't get one that's been gutted. Make sure you read:

He also has one about the new Smoking pipes Kiribi. Starts at $68. Sounds like an excellent lighter. Saving up for one. What!!! You can never have enough tampers, lighters, or pipe cleaners, and tools. Tools of any kind. Always good to have more than one, two, no three, yeah three. Maybe four.

Don't forget pipes, lots and lots of pipes. One for every day of the week is a good start, two for Sunday. Maybe three for Saturday. You never know. Weekends can be great pipe days.

Don't be afraid to get a lighter that needs work. Just make sure parts and repair kits are available. If they're inexpensive enough you may need a handful just to get one working if they don't. If your lucky. Of course if vintage or tinkering isn't your thing. You can always buy new. Or both. Or buy a working vintage model you like. Buy two, because one can run out of fuel at inopportune times.

Thanks

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Just got my rollagas back from being serviced at the Authorized Repair Service (Hendersonville, NC) I cannot open the fill valve cover. I depress and try to turn but nothing. Any tricks out there? I have to wait until Monday to call them and probably have to send it back.

Read this:

Status
Not open for further replies.